RE: NJ-Philly trade

-----Original Message-----
From: Berry, Mark S

The Celts are similar, and it's one of the reasons I don't like the Baker
trade. Pierce and Walker are going to do their thing. They didn't really
have any success until the wraps came off completely-take every shot,
whenever and from wherever you want. That worked because they were
surrounded with guys who accepted it-Ewill, Battie, Kenny and eventually
Rogers and Delk. Those guys understood their roles and accepted them. I
forget who posted that the only guys who seem to be able to coexist with
Pierce and Walker are defenders/role players or bench shooters, but that's
exactly right. Baker isn't a defender, rebounder or role player. Even
without the baggage and salary concerns, I don't think he's a good fit. Hope
I'm wrong. If they make him the starting power forward alongside Battie and
Walker, that's a step in the right direction.

** I think what is being overlooked, Mark, is that Paul/Antoine had
virtually no inside presence last year.  It is more than a tad premature to
suggest that they will refuse to pass the ball if someone is open inside.
Our two young stars have made progress each of the past few seasons and it
makes little sense to have acquired Baker and not utilize his offensive
strength inside.  Also, they are intelligent enough to know that if Baker is
scoring with any degree of proficiency, they themselves will see less double
and triple team efforts.

I don't think you are giving them enough credit.

Cecil