Re: Did Harold Katz make this trade? Huzza!

At 11:23 PM 8/6/02 -0400, Josh Ozersky wrote:
Yeah, they did, but they also added 12+ rebounds from
the center position, and allowed their athletic forwards
and guards to gamble on defense.  Getting Jefferson more
minutes will help them too.
I'm not so sure that's what they did add, though. He's 36 years old and has started to really show his age. Last season was 10.8 not 12+ and with age factoring in, that's more likely to go down than to go back up over 12. Not that that I'm saying that's in any way chopped liver. You do leave off the blocks total, which is probably even more key to why they took him. As the fact that they'll likely get almost no offense from him other than tip ins (another factor in the reduced rebound total over career totals) is also key into why he's a mixed blessing. Think of it as taking pressure to play aggressive defense (vs just positioning for the boards) off Battie and Baker : )

That being said, I think we're looking at this wrong. I would absolutely LOVE to know the truth about how much of this move might have been triggered by the Cs improvement in the middle with Vin (and no matter how you feel about the deal, even Vin at his worst is still an improvement on our inside options, especially on the offensive end). I definitely think that factored into it to some degree. The fact that we lost to Joisey doesn't change the fact that we got that far and have 2 of the better players in the league, who are showing giant steps in improvement and if we're really lucky, we've added another very useful piece. I think we've been wallowing in depression about the Cs being down for so long that we can't even recognize some of the significance of the change in circumstance and how their competition might view it. Not saying we don't have holes, just that I think we're now viewed as competition enough that what we do has to factor into what other teams in our division do.

Kim