The "Mentor."

   I really can't complain about the layoff, in terms of getting the injured
players ready to play, even if the Sixers are the greater beneficiaries. The
playoffs should be played at the highest level. If injuries are not a
factor, so much the better. In the long run, if we do take this series,
having Vitaly back and Walker's thumb healed, not to mention the rest that
Anderson gets, may give us an edge in a later series, but as I said, I want
to see the best players, playing their best.
   The problem with this layoff, though, may be just losing the focus, or
the edge. If the players are like the sportswriters, who have all just
started to regurgitate the same quotes back and forth down I-95, they will
have have lost their "sap." Today's articles offer few insights or any new
aspects of the match up.
   While most of the players and commentators are talking about and
analyzing  "adjustments" and focusing on the effect in a playoff series, on
those coaching moves; Bill Russell, as Musty Joe is so fond of reminding us,
thinks that "will," will be the determining factor in any series.  Who can
argue with him? After watching Larry Brown shredding his team on the bench,
losing his temper and being sarcastic, I've got to give the "will" edge to
the C's.
   Little Jimmy O'Brien has been underestimated by fans and pundits alike,
all season long.
Give credit to Harter for some defensive schemes, no doubt, but we've been
hearing all of our lives that defense is mainly effort. Think about that. He
has Walker pushing and shoving with Coleman, down low, on the defensive end,
as well as running the length of the floor, like McCarty, to make sure they
don't give up easy baskets and today, in the only real "news," of the day,
we hear he is staying after practice; a la Larry Bird, to practice shooting.
Kenny Anderson is zoned on stopping Iverson. No lazy waves of his hands, as
Allen flies by. No concern that he onlt took two shots in the game. Paul
Pierce, the "Golden Boy," is blocking shots, taking charges, fighting
Mutombo for rebounds and looking for open teammates to pass off to.
   Somehow, O'Brien, not only has his  players giving everything they have
and playing the best basketball of the season, just when it's most needed,
he has our "stars" sublimating their egos for the good of the team, perhaps
a greater accomplishment.
   The league has all but given the coach of the year award to Rick
Carlisle, who like O'Brien, had a team, underachieving and took them to
contender status. Both coaches had their team playing their best basketball
in the last month of the season, both have won their first playoff game.
   It is presumed that Carlisle had the weaker roster and in any other year,
I'd give him the award in a walk, but this season is not over yet. I'll
reserve my judgement on who is really the coach of the year until after the
"fat lady sings."
   For now, I'm looking at Jimmy O'Brien,
    His "will"  may way prove to be indomitable.

             JB

                             Unchain My Heart !