(no subject)

>The rating is derived by adding together points, rebounds, assists, steals
and >blocks, and subtracting field-goal attempts, personal fouls and
turnovers; adding >that sum to the number of a team's victories multiplied by
10; and multiplying that >total by 250 to reach a number that is divided by
team points plus rebounds, >>assists, steals and blocks, minus field goal
attempts, personal fouls and >>turnovers.

    I'm not mathematician but it seems to me this formula would tend to favor
big men who can block shots and have a high field goal percentage.  It
doesn't appear to take outside shots into consideration at all.  Rebounds are
more prevalent than assists and big men will obviously get more rebounds than
small forwards or guards, while it's not unusual for the offense to flow
through dominate big men allowing them to get a decent number of assists.
  The fact that five big men made the top five in results, and that Michael
Jordan is the only guard to have won the award, and he only did it twice
while Robinson won it five times.....seems my first inclination may have been
correct.