Playoff Win

Haven't posted for a few days because I was away in Las Vega$, NV, where I
did put some cash on the C's to win the series.  I think I only get 90
cents on the dollar back if I win (if I win?) because they're favored, but
you, know, I still put a pittance down to say I did.

But they sure looked good in the win.  Especially, as this list has seemed
to notice, on D.  Shut Philly down at key points, just like a playoff team
ought to.  And I'm not sure I'm totally believing AI when he says the D
made no difference in his less-than-accurate shooting in the last three
quarters.  It wasn''t all of it, though, as you could tell Iverson was
less than 100%, in timing and conditioning, but still, it was nice,
harassing defense on Philly's one true star.

And the offense clicked, too.  Now, when Boston is clicking on both ends,
they win games, pure and simple.  Pierce had a great game, and so did
Walker: passing, taking it to the hoop, scoring.  But everyone played well,
  except maybe Strick and Delk.  But that's OK, because I'm quite sure one
of these guys (Strick, probably) will be the key in a playoff victory this
year, one way or the other.  In any event, he was hampered by the early
fouls.

And it was great seeing/hearing the fans support the team, and boo the
*other* team's star.  The C's were essentially in control of the whole
game, aside from the preferential treatment towards Iverson in the first
quarter.  Wasn't Philly's only lead at 21-20 or something like that?  They
will bounce back for a game or two, though: I don;t think Larry Brown,
Iverson, Motumbo and the role payers will just roll over -- that''s what
people were saying in the Finals last year, and it didn't happen.
Different team, I know, but a few principal players haven't changed, and
Philly is proud.

If the C's can win just one game where Philly is clicking, they can come
out with a 3-1 series victory, which I think is what will happen.  Game 2,
  as others have pointed out, is crucial: if Boston wins, a series victory
is all but a certainty, except for the requisite win at home Philly will
pull off on pride and AI's scoring.  If Philly gets the next one, we're in
for a real dogfight, as Philly could put it together at home easily and
tkae it in four or five.

My gut tells me the Celtics just want this one more, though.  And they
have more offensive weapons than the Sixers.  Plus, they play defense more
like the Sixers of last year than the Sixers of this year (as far as
intensity and effectiveness, if not tactics).  C's in four, as I said
earlier, but I hope they don't start taking Philly for granted.  Stay
focused, work on adjustments on off days, play hard and this one's another
notch on the rung.

(This playoff schedule is insane, though: "Sunday - Thursday - Sunday"?
Gimme a break.  "Sunday - Tuesday - Friday - Saturday (or Sunday)" is more
like it.  A better scheduled series would have a good chance of being over
before this TV-kowtowing one gets a Philly win.  Lame.)

Bird