           *********
C's again wade into talent pool
NBA Notes/by Steve Bulpett
Sunday, September 23, 2001
The Celtics may be making an addition or three to their roster before
training camp opens a week from Tuesday. That would mean going back on an
earlier plan to keep the preseason a concentrated exercise with just the 14
players currently under contract.
``It's something we've kicked around a little bit,'' said general manager
Chris Wallace. ``At one time we weren't going to do anything, but now we're
thinking about bringing some extra guys to camp. It hasn't been ruled in or
out yet, but there are some good points about it that I think we probably
have to consider.
``If you stay at 14 and then you have the usual bumps and bruises - which is
more of a possibility with just 14 guys - then you could have some problems.
If guys start having to miss practices, you could be short on numbers.''
Wallace said the club will make a decision early this week. The numbers
point is well taken, as is the chance that someone could come in and
impress. Remember, the Celts weren't looking for new players when forming
their summer-league roster, but Khalid El-Amin opened eyes and nearly won a
job (he ended up signing with Dallas).
Dr. Jack checks in
The Celtics have made an addition to their brain trust, but he's not listed
on the staff chart and won't draw a salary. Hall of Fame coach Dr. Jack
Ramsay is offering his help to the club, meeting last week at the Jersey
shore with the Celts' coaching staff as practice plans and the like were
discussed.
Ramsay is just making sure his daughter's husband - Jim O'Brien - stays
successful and, thus, gainfully employed.
``I guess you could say he has a vested interest,'' said Wallace.
The Celtics GM knows Ramsay from their days with the Heat, Wallace in the
front office and Ramsay doing color commentary on the games.
Brown rides the bus
Kedrick Brown's road to the NBA was already pretty interesting, having been
the earliest junior college player ever taken (No. 11 overall). And the road
to Boston got even more interesting because of the events of Sept. 11.
Brown and fellow Celtic rookie Joe Johnson were stranded in Atlanta when
flights were grounded. Johnson wound up driving back to Little Rock, Ark.,
and flying to Boston when the restrictions were lifted.
Brown decided there was no turning back, an

Unchain My Heart!