ready or not!

The Boston Celtics open with four games in five nights to start the
2001-2002 season tomorrow. If you break the season down into mini-segments,
this first batch of games takes on some real meaning. The Celtics face
three teams (Cleveland, Nets and Bulls) that we have to establish routine
superiority over in order to lock up the 8th seed. But we are talking about
beating a Dream Team starter in Jason Kidd, a team that lit us up once in
the preseason in Cleveland, and a Tim Floyd coached team that always seemed
to get the better of us during the Pitino era. Finally we play Milwaukee on
the road at the tail end of a B2B, and that could be an ugly result for
Boston. Still, I'll trade adequate preparation to win the first three games
for a disappointing result on the Milwaukee trip.

A .750 start would be great what with five of the next six at home, and at
least two nights of rest between each game. Nevertheless, the Celtics will
probably need to get off to an impressive looking record (say 8-3) just to
stay even par for 41 wins. The early schedule is stacked with easy games
(relatively speaking) and the Celtics don't have time for growing pains.
These are "must" wins. Really, I actually view it as life or death.

Obie's focus obviously will first be on a repeat win against Cleveland to
open the season, but this time with Andre Miller in their lineup and both
teams' best plays in. Toine and Pierce have to take it up a notch on the road.

Last week, the Celts perimeter defense held shooters Lamond Murray and Wes
Person to a combined 11-37 brickfest, maybe in part because Andre wasn't
directing the offense but also because Obie stressed this as a goal. We
also managed a +8 rebounding differential (another Obie goal/concern) on a
Cavs team presently built around a soft frontline of Chris Mihm, Michael
Doleac and Murray.

Tyrone Hill and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are both on the IR. The Cavs added Brian
Skinner to the roster over the weekend, but I don't know if he'll play
much. Jumaine Jones (8.3 rpg in the preseason) might be their best
rebounder. But I read somewhere that Philly traded him because he was
allergic to defense.

Wes Person came out gunning this preseason averaging nearly 6 treys per
game and hitting an even .500. He was one of five Cleveland players who
averaged between 14.0 and 11.8 ppg during the pre-season.

Although Bryant Stith started some exhibition games, he finished as the
team's 11th leading scorer (3.8ppg) behind rookie Jeff Trepagnier (5.0
ppg).  Stith only shot 25% from the field in four games.

The Celtics need to get through this early stretch via steady performances
from our "veteran" captains.

(Not including the weekend game) Walker and Pierce averaged an identical
8.3 per game during the preseason, where they each played over 30 minutes
per game and did not miss a game.

Walker scored 21.0 points with 5.4 assists and 2.0 steals. The up-and-down
Pierce averaged 20.1 points, 1.9 assists, 0.9 steals. Both captains
averaged 4 turnovers and shot a crappy .395 from the field.

But Walker did shoot .432 on treys and led the Celts with 47 trips to the
line converting a solid .787FT% (again, not including the Wiz game).

Our "third scorer", Eric Williams, delivered 7.6 ppg and 3.4 rpg on .371
shooting. Bright side for Obie? That's a major advance from his 6.6 ppg and
2.6 apg on .362FG% last year in 81 games. Williams, 29, is a .387 shooter
in his last four NBA seasons since he first left Boston.

Our other "third scorer", Kenny Anderson, rolled out of bed to the tune of
6.3 ppg and 3.3 apg on .421 shooting. He had just 10 turnovers in the first
7 games. In a sign of how little the offense runs through the point, Milt
(1.6 apg) and Forte (1.0) and Herren (1.0) put up Kevin McHale type assist
numbers.

Our centers need to keep rebounding the ball better. In the first seven
games of the preseason, they averaged 13.7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and 0.9
assists in 53.7 combined minutes per game.

BTW, Obie said in the Herald today that Eric Williams will play backup
power forward, in part because he felt uncomfortable putting two of the
three Celts big men on the court at the same time. I know I'm harping on
it, but in the past three seasons Eric Williams has 2.43 boards in 21
minutes per game.

Since I don't want to end on a negative note, Milt Palacio along with
Antoine (on his treys at least) showed the best offseason improvement in
shooting (team leading .474FG% and .400 on treys).

The Celtics are 24-24 plus 4-4 pre-season under coach O'Brien. They've lost
one key veteran, Bryant Stith, but added one new coach (Dick Harter) and
five "new" players in Tony Battie, Kenny Anderson, Joe Johnson, Joe Forte
and Kedrick Brown.

The 2001-02 tipoff is tomorrow at 7pm ET. The Celtics' home opener is the
following night at the same time versus the Nets.

Go Boston Celtics! I'm very excited and look forward to living through
another season with all of you IGTC guys.

Please, someone, kindly volunteer to do game summaries this week. Sorry for
the long post.

Joe