Re: Athlon Sports on scoring efficiency

Tom,

A key point that might be confusing some people is that if you draw a foul
and miss your shot (which happens most of the time you're fouled), you are
not credited with a missed field goal attempt! So for instance, let's say
Paul over the course of five possessions draws four fouls, hitting six FT,
and hits a FG. His line is 1-1 FG, 6-8 FT. His pts/fga is a marvelous 8.0!
Over the same five possessions, Ray Allen hits two three pointers and three
dunks. His line is 5-5 FG, 0-0 FT, and 2.4 pts/fga. Now the weird thing is
that Ray scored 12 points and Paul scored 8 in five possessions each, but
Paul's "efficiency" is three times as high. I think drawing fouls is a
great thing too but I think that this example shows why pts/fga frequently
has nothing to do with what most of us would associate with efficiency,
which is how many points a player tends to get each time he gets the ball.

Now the point you make about the "free" shot attempts that guys like Miller
and Pierce get by tossing up a field goal after getting the foul is valid.
There's a flaw in counting a FTA as half a shot in the case where the ball
goes in (for a possible three point play) because it should only have been
one FGA total, but it'll look like a FGA+FTA on the stat sheet. When they
miss, it works OK because no FGA shows up on the stat sheet. The only way
to do it accurately is to actually keep track of what actually happened
each game with shooting fouls. But I think in most cases, the player does
not convert the field goal, and the error is a FTA attempt for each time
this happens. In contrast, pts/fga essentially has an error of a FTA every
time a "regular" FTA is taken, which is huge.

Alex