RE: Doom and Gloom

Anything can happen. That's why they play the games. But your analysis of
the Knicks just highlights the Celtics' problems. You bash Jackson, Ward and
Eisley. I'm not saying they're world-beaters, but all three are better than
any point guard on the Celtic roster. Think about that. Houston and Sprewell
are true shooting guards, no question, but you think the Celtics don't have
guys playing out of position? Our two best players are natural small
forwards, but one will play power forward and one will play shooting guard.
And Camby, he may be injury-prone, but he's a difference-maker when he's in
there. Thomas, Weatherspoon and Harrington are better than any of our
"centers."

You're right that in basketball, good teams are better than the sum of their
parts. The Knicks are a good example. They play well together. They still
have the same basic cast of characters and the same coach. Why should that
change? The Celtics don't play well together, at least not consistently.

The East is much deeper this year, and the Celtics will need significant
improvement to make a move. I just don't think they've made that
improvement. Maybe they'll surprise me and become one of those teams that
gels and exceeds expectations, but I haven't seen any reason to believe that
yet.

Mark