Re: [...] Ye olde dark cloud.

on 10/17/01 11:47 PM, bird at birdwl@earthlink.net wrote:

You can have Milt, but I'd love to be invited to that "Bar-B-Que."
          JB

Sure, sure, bring a friend.  You keep saying you're not in love with
Khalid, but you keep mentioning him too.  Is it a bit like in third grade
when you bugged the girl you liked, putting her hair in the inkwell,
tugging on pigtails, that sort of thing?  Methinks you protest too much.
Seriously, I'm still not convinced the team needs a "true point guard".
Some people still want to assign traditional roles to players on the team
when those players do not feel comfortable in those roles.  It's not going
to work.  Sure, the team plays well when Kenny Anderson  "runs the break
and creates the offense" but I don't see this all that often.  Counting on
that to happen is looking for a disaster, I think.
bird

   I keep mentioning Khalid, because it would seem he is the best available
point guard, we could get on the cheap (less than Herren money) and he
showed me this summer, that he could improve the offensive flow of the team.
   Steve also mentioned in his next post, that a "real" center is our most
pressing need. You might be surprised, how much better our centers would
look, if there was a true point guard to get them involved in the offense.
   To reiterate the issue with Antoine initiating the offense, from that
wing position; it seems to me that the options are very limited. Either he
passes in to the post, to a double teamed Pierce, passes into the corner to
Eric Williams, who fires a three, takes the three himself, forces his way
into the paint to lob up a runner, or continues his drive to the hoop, where
he has to fight his way through the waiting defense, usually to be swallowed
or swatted. This does not utilize the center or the player (the point guard,
usually) setting up on the other side. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the
defense knows you are only going to use three players and attack from the
same side of the court every play, it makes it a lot easier to defend.
         JB

       ***********************
>    Anyway, so you tell me why Herren isn't playing, but there are minutes
> for "Buggs" McCarty and Blount?
           JB
I thought I already did this, JB.  He's the 12th man.  And a point guard.
The _fourth-string_ point guard.  I don't understand why you think he
ought to be getting playing time over guys at different positions.  And I'
m just not buying the conspiracy theory.
                 bird

           1. (Why do I love lists so much?)When you empty the bench and
have time for Salvadori, you should have time for everyone who comes to
practice. It's just good for morale.
            2. We brought him in because Brown is hurt and Anderson has a
history of injury that rivals Evil Kneivel. Don't you think it would be wise
to get him into the flow a bit? Introduce him to his new teammates in game
situations?
             3. If we are going to keep him, wouldn't you like to see how he
is playing this season? If we are not going to keep him, lets look at
someone else.
               I think you have ostrich syndrome on this one Bill. There's
something amiss here. I may not have the answer, but there has to be some
unpublicized reason why Herren can't get off the bench.

                   JB

Unchain My Heart!