re: Bulpett Article

> From: Michael Gooen <callmebogie@yahoo.com>
>
> Am I the only one who thinks Steve Bulpett showed truly bad taste in
> authoring the headline "Celtics Take Crash Course in Charlotte" and the
> lead "For the Celtics, the tape of last night's 99-88 preseason loss to
> the Hornets will serve the same purpose as those gory auto accident films
> they used to show you in high school driver's ed"?
>
> Don't know if Bulpett simply forgot about the untimely death of Bobby
> Phills or if he was deliberately making a sick joke, but either way I
> didn't appreciate it.

Are you kidding, Michael?  Can a guy not use metaphors in sports nowadays
without someone taking offense?  Next thing you know, no one can say a
team "blew" (possible reference to untimely death of Len Bias) or didn't
have any heart (possible reference to untimely death of Reggie Lewis), or
"shot itself in the foot" (possible reference to that scene in M*A*S*H
where Col. Potter says "I should've shot myself in the foot and stayed in
Honolulu").  I mean, I really think this is an example of searching for
offensiveness.

There is, of course, a third possibility: that he was merely using a
metaphor to describe the team's lackluster performance.  I mean, really.

(The Celtic "Tird")

P.S. It's like David Robinson suggesting to a reporter that the term "Twin
Towers" is now somehow inappropriate to use in describing the seven-foot
Admiral and Tim Duncan.  How about "that great power forward from the
Virgin Islands and the PC-conscious former Navy Guy"?  Nah, doesn't quite
roll off the tongue as well... .