FW: [Celtics' Stuff How cheap is cheap?

----------
From: JBMetzEA@Yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:43:56 EDT
To: Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Celtics' Stuff How cheap is cheap?

    While we dabated a week or so ago, whether our ownership was keenly
aware
that Chris Herren was white and local, before inviting  him to camp, someone
since, must have told "thanksdad," that a three year veteran's minimum is
more than we would have had to pay El- Amin, or another CBA castoff, or even
Palacio.
JB
        *****************
Though he probably won't finish among the top eight Celtics in playing time
this season, Forte will play a major role in how the roster shakes out. If
Forte can perform well enough at the point, the Celts will be able to keep
the roster at the desired number of 14 players (fellow guard Chris Herren
would be the numbers victim).
O'Brien wants flexibility within an NBA system that allows for 12 active
players and as many as three on the injured list. Having 14 players around
as
opposed to 15 would keep costs down (Herren's deal isn't fully guaranteed),
but that issue won't be solved until the C's can get a read on Randy Brown's
groin injury.
Steve Bulpett.
O'Brien said the plan was to carry 14 players, but the
injury to Brown (groin) forced them to bring in Chris Herren. ''Ideally,''
O'Brien said, ''we'd like to have 12 healthy players go all 82 games. We
don't want to carry 15 but we will if there's a prolonged injury. Randy's is
a prolonged injury.''
Peter May

Tosubscribe to this group, send an email to:
Celticsstuffgroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com