Re: Fw: Game 2 , trade ideas & Way's after the season

In a message dated 10/14/01 12:37:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
johnlyell@hotmail.com writes:

<< That's a good point. What is Chris Carr's status? Did we sign him to a one
year or 2 year deal last year? >>

He's unrestricted, unrenounced free agent. His unrenounced cap value is
$1.440M (120% of his $1.2M salary last year). He was signed only to a
one-year deal. As I said, Toronto is looking for backcourt help and they've
reportedly had trade talks with Denver for Vo Leoneard. Carr is more athletic
and every bit the shooter although not the defender that VL is. That's why I
feel it would be wise for Team Wallace to pursue a sign and trade deal using
Chris Carr to bring in another "4"/"5" player. A guy like Brian Skinner, a
6'9" chiseled PF with long arms and shot blocking ability, could help this
team.

The two main roadblocks that I envision are:

1) Under the current CBA, if memory serves me correctly, in order to work a
sign and trade a player has to sign at least a three-year contract. Toronto
might not want to take on Carr's contract for that length of time.

2) The other, obviously, is Thanksdad's steadfast refusal to even approach
the luxury tax threshold; much less exceed it.

I don't understand that philosophy, though, So what if the team end up
exceeding the tax threshold by $1M and incurs another $1M tax penalty. The
revenues generated by even one or two home playoff games would all but cover
that additional expense.

And with Jordan's return, league revenues will increase and that in turn
should raise the luxury tax threshold. Keep in mind the league will be
negotiating with the networks for a new TV contract this year. (Is there any
doubt of a "sweetheart" deal that Stern and Co. promised Mike under the table
to get him to come back during the final year of the league's TV contract ?)

Even adding another $1.44M salary to the current payroll should still keep
the C's under the projected tax trigger point.

CeltsSteve

Comedian Argus Hamilton says Jordan made his decision to return out of
patriotism. "President Bush asked Americans to start traveling again, and
Michael never takes less than three steps with the ball."