Friday night

ESPN has ranked our next exhibition season opponent, the Dallas Mavericks,
in its "Elite Four" of top NBA teams for the upcoming season.

In there opening 9-point win over Philly on Monday, the "Cubanos" welcomed
two familiar faces to Boston Celtics fans (Tim Hardaway and Adrian Griffin).

"Old school" Adrian entered the game for Dallas as the 6th man and stayed
out there for 28 minutes, 9 points and 7 boards. Adrian had a typically
efficient game, making 60% of his FGs and 75% of his FTs. Just the way I
like to remember him.

"Yo Adrian" was certainly a favorite Celtics players over these past years
to many longtime fans like us. I hope Griffin will have many more
productive, healthy years in the NBA and get a chance to contribute to his
team in some big playoff moments (preferably against the Gaykers).

Another key bench substitute, Tim Hardaway, ended the Philly game as the
Mavs second leading scorer (13 points, 4 assists in 24 minutes) behind Dirk
Nowitzki. It'll be nice to see Tim out there getting Antoine all fired up.
Incumbent point guard Steve Nash had 12 points and 6 assists.

The Mavs also gave a lot of bench minutes to free agent pickups Danny
Manning and Evan Eschmeyer, a Northwestern grad who took down 5 boards per
game in 18 minutes last season for the NJ Nets.

Gone from last year's bench are Howard Eisley, Gary Trent and Mark Bryant.
Oh and BTW, where have you gone Zhi Zhi Wang?

Khalid El-Amin is part of a very crowded backcourt, so you guys might not
get to see him play on Friday night (or at all) for the Mavs. Veteran free
agent Mugsy Bogues is also fighting for a roster spot as his inspirational
career winds down.

Superstar Michael Finley (.458 .775 21.5ppg 5.2 rpg 4.4 apg) led Dallas
last year in steals with 1.44. He's not really an exceptional 3-point
threat in general. On paper, our own Paul Pierce is closing very rapidly in
the USA Dream Teamers' rear view mirror.

The other franchise cornerstone, Dirk Nowitzki, led the Mavs in scoring
(21.8) and rebounding (9.2). But he also averaged 2 assists and 2
turnovers, so any Larry Bird analogies need to stop right there!! That's a
little pet peave of mine.

Shawn Bradley (7.4 rpg, 2.8 bpg) and Juwon Howard (7.1 boards, 18.0 ppg)
are two well-paid Cubanos who will be a big key to the team this season.
They form a pretty solid starting C-PF duo, but they'll need to stay
healthy because the Mavs are very thin at that position. Overall, the
starting Dallas frontcourt averages a freakish 7 feet 1 inches tall or so,
thanks to Bradley and Nowitzki.

Point guard Steve Nash had a breakout year last season, leading the Mavs in
FG% (.487) and FT% (.895) while setting career season highs in scoring,
assists and rebounding.

Basically, the Mavs have a core group in the 27-28 year old range (Finley,
Nash, Bradley, Griffin, Juwon) complementing Nowitzki. Boston's main talent
nucleus is a few years younger and quite a bit less experienced.

Last year was Dallas' big coming out party in the NBA, and obviously all of
us (even "Way" presumably) hope this year or next will prove to be
Boston's. Like Way, we want the Celtics to *equate* themselves in a
thoroughly professional manner. ;-)

Friday's game marks Boston's second straight showdown against a 50+ win
opponent from last season.

The Mavs rolled to 57 total wins last year, to be precise.

The Dallas game also is the first of a weekend B2B for our Boston Celtics
that will end in Texas against another ESPN "Elite Four" team: the 65-win
San Antonio Spurs. That's going to be a tough game!

Go Celts Go!

p.s. FWIW, David Robinson reportedly told Bloomberg News that it might not
be appropriate to refer to himself and Tim Duncan as the "Twin Towers" any
longer. I guess they could be the "Eiffel Towers" in honor of the new
French-import Tony Parker, who will be feeding them the ball. Or the
"Eiffel (into a burnin' ring of fire) Towers" as Johnny Cash would say.

-----