ProJo on Kedrick

ProJo article on Kedrick Brown

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/story.pl/sports/06316461.htm

"Kedrick is extremely athletic, which we didn't have an abundance of," said
Wallace. "He'll do some things that make your eyes open, that's for sure."

While Celtic fans should expect the eye-popping dunk or sky-walking
rebound, Brown is warning he'll take time.

"I just want to make a good impression, but I learn quick," Brown said. "I
know no one really knows my game but that's nothing new. It just makes me
play harder. I have to go out and make a good impression. I can just do a
lot of stuff on the court."

Wallace, coach Jim O'Brien, and player personnel boss Leo Papile can hardly
hold their tongues when asked about Brown's physical skills.

"He's probably about 75 percent of the way in the transition from a high
school center to a junior college, and now NBA, perimeter player," Wallace
said. "He did not have the benefit of playing at that position all through
high school. He's got to fill in the blanks and keep working on that
transition, especially on defense. He's going to guard guys the likes (of
which) he never saw on the junior-college level."

Wallace says readiness isn't a big consideration when drafting players
these days. Maybe that's why the Celts used their other two first-round
picks on college underclassmen Joe Johnson and Joseph Forte.

"The NBA is full of players who are emerging very strongly who I wouldn't
have classified as ready coming in," said Wallace. "We're bringing in so
many young guys that that's a very easy trait to trip yourself up on. Like,
was Darius Miles ready last year coming out of high school in East St.
Louis, Ill.? Was Kobe Bryant or Tracey McGrady ready? Probably in the
strictest sense of the word, no. What you want to do is get the best talent
and the best athletes you can find and then you get them ready."

Brown looked good in the Shaw's Summer League, averaging 11.7 points, 6.7
rebounds and shooting 35 percent on 3-pointers. If he progresses, coach Jim
O'Brien would spot Brown behind both Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce. If
he's even better, Brown will push for even more time as a rookie and be a
player the entire basketball world knows about in the coming years.