Re: Mercer comment in the news

At 11:32 02/10/01 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:
>This from http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/5559.htm
>
>"The over/under on Charles Oakley hitting Mercer at a Bulls shoot-around is
>five games."
>
>I always liked Oakley as a player. I always liked Mercer as well, though
>differently.  Maybe this will be a wakeup call for Mercer?

         Strange, isn't it? I always viewed Mercer as one dimensional and
slow laterally on defense, but he doesn't seem like a jerk. I don't know,
maybe I'm giving him too much credit. He's had a few incidents other than
the fight outside the Denver locker room. He's such an elegant player
because of his air game, but he's had the ball far too much in his hands
during his career for a guy who can't dribble or find teammates. Basically,
we've replaced him with the project Kedrick Brown and that's more than fine
with me, because of Kedrick's rebounding, shot blocking, assist-making and
defensive reputation and raw tools. A 6-8 guy with a 45 vertical who can
shoot from the line and downtown, I'll take that!  Mercer had none of those
non-scoring skills in abundance even in college. He was a pure, designated
scorer with an outstanding physical advantage over college defenders and an
excellent system to get his 20 a night.

***