http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/cs10012001.htm
Walker is Air-conditioned
by Steve Bulpett

Monday, October 1, 2001

With the Celtics opening their training camp today, we offer this to whet
your appetite:
``I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Antoine Walker.''

The author of the quote is Tim Grover, famed as the trainer for Michael
Jordan and operator of Hoops: The Gym in Chicago.

 From all accounts, the Celtics have scored their first victory of the
season - a month before the regular season even begins. Any way you look at
it, the offseason work of Walker and Paul Pierce is a giant step forward
for the club.

In particular, Walker's regimen in Chicago - hitting the weights under
Grover's guidance and playing in games with Jordan - should yield great
benefit. Pierce, meanwhile, was better able to hit the weights this summer
after more fully recovering from his stabbing last September. He was
scheduled to be in Chicago for some work, as well, but travel problems
after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks prevented that.

``From everything I know, I think that our captains have dedicated
themselves at an extremely high level to come in and physically and
mentally lead us,'' C's coach Jim O'Brien said. ``I had no doubt that
that's what they would do. I'm very pleased that that's their mindset.

``They also understand that a lot is on their backs, and they want that. As
a result, they have prepared themselves for that responsibility.''

While there may be a decent change in Walker's outward appearance, Grover
said what's on the inside could be even more important.

``I was excited all the way through with Antoine,'' said Grover, leader of
ATTACK Athletics. ``He worked tremendously hard. He totally changed his
eating habits and his work ethic toward the game. He lifted weights
consistently and went through all the drills and did everything.

``I mean, I was very impressed with the turnaround he made.''

Walker's work was focused largely on the Celtics' needs. O'Brien wants him
to handle the ball, so dexterity was a huge key as Walker worked on his
strength.

``We put a lot of emphasis - if the plans are to use him as a point forward
at times - on his ballhandling skills and also his speed work,'' Grover
said. ``We want him to be able to beat his man off the dribble and also be
able to defend some of the smaller, quicker guys. There was a lot of
emphasis on lateral movement, quicker first step, reaction time.''

Having been with Walker at both Kentucky and Boston, O'Brien was aware that
there was more to come if certain offseason changes were made.

``I think Antoine has really helped himself this summer more than others,
despite the fact he'd play the game all summer before,'' O'Brien said.
``Anytime a guy can come in and play 81-82 games for you, you know he's
working.

``But I think he has taken a real stride forward in what he did with Tim
Grover out there, and he will be probably in the best shape he's been in
since high school. That's not to say he wasn't in good shape, but it's a
different kind of shape now.''

Under Grover's plan, those who wished to play at Hoops had to sign a
contract and commit to off-court work, as well. With Jordan leading an
All-Star cast on the court, the deal was well worth it.

``What we did is we were able to capture the highest level of competition
in pickup games anywhere - organized pickup basketball with a shot clock
and referees and the whole bit,'' Grover said. ``Guys wanted badly to play
in those games.''

But the work isn't over. Walker and others will continue their programs
outlined by Grover.

``I feel a bond with every individual I train,'' Grover said. ``If they're
not playing well, I have to sit down and evaluate and see what's going on
and see if it was something that we did in the training that we'll have to
adjust for next year.''