Pau is having his problems too.

I guess Pau needs a little more time, huh Ray?

I think he will be a player one day  but I'm happy with JJ at 10.  JJ is a
player now. Very impressive so far.  Now Battier or Curry I'd have traded up
for but I'd still hope that JJ would be available at 11 then.

<Jim

Grizzlies' skid hits 7 games
Added: 13th November, 2001

The Grizzlies continued to plummet, according to the Memphis Appeal. They've
lost seven times in as many tries this season, tying a 1996 record for the
club's worst start.

And, apparently, it is no longer acceptable to use youth as an excuse for
being inept. Just ask Grizzlies coach Sidney Lowe, center Lorenzen Wright
and point guard Jason Williams - all of whom expressed frustration on how
the team suffered its latest debacle.

This time, the power forward position became a lightning rod, and with good
reason. Rookie Pau Gasol and second-year player Stromile Swift combined to
grab just seven rebounds. Add to that, they allowed Golden State's Danny
Fortson to collect 20 points and snare 22 boards, and accepting punishment
from the rest of the Warriors' front line.

Wright, who spent most of the game yelling instructions to Gasol, questioned
his teammates' heart and passion. "We're getting frustrated because people
aren't doing their assignments," said Wright, who led the Grizzlies with 19
points and 15 rebounds. "When people are constantly messing up their
assignments over and over, it gets frustrating."

"The chemistry on the court isn't like I want it to be," Lowe said. "The
pressure shots the young guys will get accustomed to. But being young is not
an excuse for the lack of effort and mental errors."

Jim Hill
mailto:jahill@leasingservice.com