RE: [Celtic_Pride] Celtic Fans

Cecil, the only time that's happened for me was this year with my beloved
Ohio State Buckeyes. Steve Bellisari is a third-year starter at QB and must
have incriminating pictures of Woody Hayes himself, because he's simply
awful. Everyone knows it. But he still plays. Well, after an especially poor
performance against UCLA earlier this season (5-for-23, 2 interceptions, no
offensive TDs-an Evil Antoine outing if ever there was one), the
anti-Bellisari sentiment was mounting and the feeling was he'd get one more
chance-against Indiana the following week-to prove he was the right guy.
I'll admit it. I rooted against him. I wanted him to play poorly and give
the backup a chance. I really felt the backup QB would have, with a little
patience, been the better player for the team. So I rooted against one
individual hoping in the long run it would better the team. Incidentally,
Bellisari had a pretty good game against Indiana and has been the
unquestioned starter since, and I support him completely because it's
obvious no change is forthcoming and the team's success is tied to his own.

Would I ever find myself rooting against Antoine? I honestly don't know. For
example, I really don't believe Antoine has suddenly undergone any sort of
epiphany and will become the dynamic player he was Wednesday on any kind of
consistent basis. Yet I get the sense after that game that our "braintrust"
believes more than ever that the team's power forward will be Antoine Walker
for the next seven years. You know how I feel about this team constructed
that way. If Antoine plays the way he has historically (not the way he did
Wednesday), this team is going nowhere. So I'll root for Antoine to play
like he did Wednesday. If it becomes obvious it isn't going to happen, I'll
root for changes. Will I root against Antoine? Not exactly, but I'll hope
that the "braintrust" sees the same things I'm seeing.

I'm probably going to get blasted for not being a true fan for admitting
this, but nothing could be further from the truth. I'm obsessed to an
unhealthy extreme with the Celts, and I just want them to be competitive for
championships again. Sometimes that means hoping to exchange the players we
have for better players or a better mix.

Mark