No Subject

Although there were several positives in the double B2Bs to start the year,
overall I don't think they have reinforced our confidence that Boston is
superior to even the weakest team. That is to say, even against weak
opponents like the ones we are about to play over the coming two weeks,
there's still no real sense that any of these games will be a cakewalk or a
sure win.

The schedule ought to help a lot though. The spacing between the games is
almost like a college basketball schedule, so there is lots of time to
review game tapes and prepare strategies. We'll likely learn something
about how much Obie/Harter's game preparation make a difference in how well
we play.

None of Boston's next 8 opponents possess a winning record, but the
Wizards, Pacers and Toronto have an identical record as ours.  Since there
is also a lot of practice time available (12 full days off in the next 17
days) this is a chance for the rookies to try to work their way back into
the rotation, or for the two Erics to solidify major roles.

It all begins Wednesday night with the Wiz at home on national television.
Walker last shot 12-19 in the preseason game against Jordan so let's hope
he'll be able to use this challenge to get back on track again. Antoine
really needs that sort of game to reduce the jitters of fans and seem less
like a meathead. I'll be happy with 8-18 from the field or something like
that. To me that's in the range of what Antoine can do fairly consistently.

The Wizards frankly have played as well or better than Boston to date, with
wins over the injury-ravaged Sixers and the upstart Hawks. Yet on paper
they look Horri-Bull (so do we, I suppose).

Popeye Jones (its great to see him doing well) is easily their leading
rebounder at 9 per game, but they are getting outboarded by 3.0 per game.
Popeye is one of four generic, seemingly zero-upside players handling the
rebounding along with Ty Nesby, Jahidi White, and Etan Thomas. Christian
Laettner also is part of that equation.

But aside from stepping up out of necessity as the teams' second rebounder,
MJ's move to point guard was prompted by what seems like an even greater
talent gap in this area. No one other than Jordan is averaging better than
3.0 assists per game (that's Chris Whitney) and as a team, the Wiz are
shooting  a poor .417 from the field.

Chris Whitney continues to impress (12.3ppg) as a shooting point. Their
fourth go-to scorer is Laettner at 7.5 ppg but on an Antoine-esque .278
shooting. I still cringe at the rumor last Spring that Dallas would take on
Kenny and the three first round picks in exchange for Laettner's cap
clearing contract. Luckily (for both teams probably), the Juwan Howard deal
came together.

Two Wiz prospects are struggling for reasons that are not clear: Courtney
Alexander is at 5.5 points per game thanks to .310 shooting and may be
losing his place in the rotation, while Kwame Brown has played only 12
minutes the entire season (scoring 2 points). I'm not sure what the deal is
with Kwame. The guys who are getting his minutes are nothing to write  home
about.

There's not much else of note on the Wiz roster (I guess I neglected to
mention Rip Hamilton, but you probably know all about him from his U Conn
days). Hamilton is shooting the ball really well and will need to be
contained by JJ, Erick, Eric and Kedrick.

But once Jordan re-re-re-retires, its hard to imagine a more hopeless
roster than what the Wiz have now. Then again, Kwame has not really had a
chance to get out of the gate yet. I don't begrudge Jordan at all for
coming back, but it almost surely comes at the cost of being able to draft
Jason Williams or Yao Ming next spring.

-------

Here's the SI scouting report, to give you guys an early idea of what to
look for in the game.

-Jahidi White is a mountain disguised as a basketball player. He takes up
space, players bounce off him, but he can't handle the ball. ...

-I like Kwame Brown . He's a natural four with a perimeter game, he can put
the ball on the floor, he's quick and explosive with a sense of poise, and
he has none of the pressure of being the No.1 pick because the focus is
entirely on Michael Jordan . Still, it's going to take three years before
he really gets it. The only high school player I can remember playing well
as a rookie was Moses Malone. ...

-Courtney Alexander thinks he's really good. He has to be brought down a
peg, but it's easier to do that with a talented guy like Alexander than it
is to bring along a guy like Brendan Haywood , who has a reputation for
having a poor work ethic.

-Jordan got beat a few times in the preseason because he was trying to help
out on defense so much. You look at the old rosters, and he was surrounded
by a better team when he came to Chicago as a rookie.

-But he gives the Wizards a go-to scorer who knows how to win in the last
two minutes, and he's going to get calls. Those are qualities you don't
usually find in developing teams.

-The other bubble teams -- Boston, Detroit, Atlanta -- have better players
overall, but they don't have anyone who has shown anything like the
leadership of Jordan. If he can get this team into the playoffs, it would
be like winning a championship with his former team. I think he's going to
do it."

****