Karl sees the light

I don't think any one of us can claim to know more about basketball than
George Karl and George Karl sees the light:

"I'm not sure I would tolerate Walker's shot selection all the time.
There's a line between confidence and arrogance. I think if [the
Celtics] can get ... a little confident, it can get dangerous. That's
what you're working on.''

When Walker's 6-for-29 performance against the Nets came up, Karl added,
''I said to Glenn[ Robinson] and Ray[ Allen], `Tell me if you're 5 for
20 you'll stop shooting. Just tell me.' They both said, `Yeah Coach,
unless I'm wide open.' All my guys know that if they're not in the
rhythm, it's OK to ride the other horse.''

This is all that I ask. Karl said in the story that he gives his
shooters plenty of freedom (Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell, Ray Allen, Tim
Thomas take LOTS of shots), but there's such a thing as too much.

Complain about the Celtics' lack of other shooters, but I would rather
have any player on the team take an open 17-footer than see Antoine spin
into a triple team and get a shot sent back by Ervin Johnson. Creating a
shot is no big deal if it has no chance of going in and Antoine takes a
half dozen of those a game.

STEVE O