Tony Key. 6'10" or 7'1" ?

Title: Tony Key. 6'10" or 7'1" ?
"Unlimited upside" they say! I guess it's better than having an unlimited backside.
-JB-
       **************
 Desert Classic: Day 3
By George Rodecker
Special to SportsLine.com
May 4, 2001
PHOENIX -- Day Three began at Mesa Community College, a local JUCO, observing a workout for high schooler turned NBA Draft eligible player: Tony Key. Key, an already well-traveled 6-foot-10, 275-pound interior player, participated in a lengthy 5-on-5 full-court scrimmage before a dozen or so NBA teams.
Key, whose brother plays with the Harlem Globetrotters, showed all the game rust of a not-too-well-conditioned athlete. But the NBA scouts here didn't care much about his conditioning, an issue quickly resolved with a vigorous training program. What they did see was a player with unlimited upside to his game, a player who may get the opportunity to display his wares in better game shape next month at the Chicago camp.
The key question regarding such an unheralded prospect concerns just how good he can become in a few years. Teams may wish to draft this type of player late in the first round with the hope he develops into a solid NBA player while under contract to them. Key's play in Chicago next month may well determine whether he's a late first round selection or just another name added to the list of undrafted early entry candidates.
The Nike Desert Classic games played here on Day Three helped NBA talent evaluators skinny up their wish lists as several players displayed their talents again.

Kenny Gregory keeps proving he is a scorer. (Allsport)
Cal's Sean Lampley recorded the night's only double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, and teammate Kenny Gregory was high point man for the evening with 17. Jeryl Sasser and Brian Scabrine added 11 each as their team prevailed 86-81 over a team led by Martin Rancik, Anthony Evans and Jarron Collins, who had 13 points each. Dean Oliver had five assists and five turnovers in a losing effort.
In the nightcap, Rashad Phillips wouldn't let a turned ankle keep him on the sidelines as he joined teammates Damone Brown of Syracuse and Texas' Darren Kelly with 13 points to pace their squad to a 95-83 victory. Phillips had seven assists and shot 3 of 6 from long distance. Tennessee's Tony Harris and Brandon Wofram of Texas-El Paso each had 15 points for the losing team.

Who else was hot

*    Cal's Sean Lampley -- has a great NBA small forward body.
*    Detroit guard Rashad Phillips -- despite size limitations, keeps getting job done.
*    Syracuse's Damone Brown -- wiry, fluid player who keeps getting to the basket and finishing.
*    USC's Brian Scalabrine -- tough, rugged battler who plays with great intelligence.
*    Kansas' Kenny Gregory -- electric wing player who flies to the basket and gets his points.

Quotes ...

UCLA's Earl Watson: "I'm a team player, a team guy. There's a lot of individual play going on all around here, not a lot of team play. This is a great opportunity for me to display my team game."
Iowa's Dean Oliver: "This is a big opportunity for me to take advantage of a greater opportunity. I'm able to go out and play the game and show my skills and abilities. I'm just trying to get the recognition that will allow me to play at the next level. I want to prove that I can play at that next level and help out an NBA team next year."
Kyle Hill: "There's a lot of good players here and it's easy for you to get lost in the mix. It's going to be harder for me coming from a small school like Eastern Illinois that's in a small conference. Not a lot of people know about Eastern Illinois."

... and notes

Roy Williams arrived to watch and support Kenny Gregory and Eric Chenowith. Best play of the night may have been when he visited the Washington Wizards' table and held a mini-reunion with fellow Tar Heel alum Michael Jordan.
Veteran scouts are mourning the passing this week of former Los Angeles Lakers great Happy Hairston and Phoenix Suns director of scouting Dick Percudani. Both succumbed to cancer.
It's amazing how with some many middle-aged ex-players mingling throughout the gym, that Julius Erving is able to slip around the facility without being noticed by the autograph seekers working the arena.
Agents continue to be the largest group in attendance here, some still shopping for a client, many protecting the ones they have signed.

CopyrightŠ 2001 SportsLine.com, Inc. All rights reserved. CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Inc.

Unchain My Heart!