Re: Tinsley

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I was glad to see the long article on Tinsley.  That's what I see in
> him: the ability to control a game through playmaking, defense, and
> scoring when necessary.  I'm rarely sure on my picks, after all
> they're just opinions, but I do think he's big time.
>
> Now, I'll shut up about Tinsley and look more closely at others.
> Gene

Boy that was a nice article, I agree! He kind of sounds like a KC Jones
type of difference-maker on both ends. A kid with maybe a 10-year Celts
career ahead of him.

It is hard to imagine a NY-style playmaking guard with a weak perimeter
shot meshing well in the Obie/Walker/Pierce system. It is also tough
justifying drafting Tinsley at 10/11 with such a rare opportunity for a
big man or young super prospect, but I doubt we'll see him later and of
course we might live to regret it.

I get the impression he ranks well ahead of a Mark Jackson or Andre
Miller on defense. But while they also have so-so jumpshots, I think
Jackson and Miller had far fewer rough edges on offense coming into
their rookie year. Tinsley had a Chauncey-esque below .400FG% this year
I believe and his assist-turnover ratio was enough to scare people off
too. But you can't argue with the fact that he took a mediocre team and
made everyone play better, and willed his team to win the big games. I
don't blame anyone for liking him.

***