Re: draft prospects

Thomas Murphy wrote:

> Saw this at TSN http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/draft/
>
> What do you guys who follow college hoops closely think?
>
> 10.  Jeff Trepagnier  USC  G
> He is a high-flyer who was one of the most impressive players at the
> seniors-only Nike Desert Classic, the first of the predraft camps.

    Seeing Sam Clancy, Trepagnier and Brian Scalabrine all rise up into the
bubble first rounder status on most mock drafts, I feel less bad that the Troy
Bell and the BC Eagles failed to "Beat LA" (USC) in the NCAA tournament. I'm
kind of shocked Trepagnier ranks this high on TSN, he sounds like a Kris
Clack, Harold Minor, Kenny Gregory type one-dimensional highlight film type
player. Who knows? His name sounds suspiciously French.

> 11.  Rodney White*  Charlotte  F
> He only spent one year in college, but it was productive. He was named
> freshman of the year by several publications after averaging 19 points and
> leading Charlotte to the NCAA tournament. Scouts, however, like White's
> size -- 6-10, 235 -- and potential much more than his college numbers.

    Ideally, it would be very nice to see another double-double rebounder,
shotblocker or defender in the starting lineup to play alongside Antoine.
Although Rodney White fits none of those categories, he's one of those that
might have the talent of a top-three lotto pick if he stayed an extra year in
college. You could project him increasing his rebounding and scoring
considerably had he stayed. How he fits in with the Celts isn't clear, but who
cares if he's the best player available?

    I'm fighting a sinking feeling that the draft is only 9-deep. But afterall
doesn't it always seem like that EVERY year, even if that proves to be far
from the reality (as with the Paul Pierce draft)?

    FWIW, here are nine guys just out of our reach, in my view (Battier, Kwame
Brown, Curry, Griffin, Rodney White, Jason Richardson, Tyson Chandler, Diop,
Zach Randolph). No doubt one or more of these names will fall, or we'll find
something even better at #10 and #11. Clearly the top college center or power
forward performers this year will be available (Bradley, Murphy, Woods,
Heywood), a scenario that is pretty uncommon in most NBA drafts. I'd frankly
be disappointed if we end up with Pau Gasol and say Michael Bradley, but who
knows they could turn out to be the best players. You never know.

    The third Celts pick right now is actually one of the most intriguing
(I've variously heard it reported as the 21st, 22nd, or 24th pick), since
you've got names like Ousmane Cisse, Omar Cook, Gerald Wallace, Joe Forte,
Gilbert Arenas, Joe Johnson and Tayshaun Prince still bunched in that draft
range on many boards (although any could move up). These guys are all
underclassmen who haven't even finished growing physically or as players,
which makes it very exciting. I hope Wallace invites a long list of players
for individual workouts, not just the guys projected to go in the lottery.

    If Cisse can rebound and play NBA defense, he'll play. Cook sounds like a
6-1 version of Toine, glaring at refs and opponents. He could be very
productive though, but I do think you need a point guard of character and
maturity to take charge of a team like the Celtics. And he'll need to be able
to shoot to get off the bench. Jason Williams completely destroyed him this
year...ate him alive.  Forte and especially Arenas both seem to have potential
Joe Dumars combo-guard skills, IMO well worth the "risk" of taking these
tweeners if they are available. I've read in several places that Joe Johnson
is one of the least motivated players in the draft, and has disappointed many
scouts this year. It's a talent league though, and maybe he'd also be well
worth the risk at that stage of the draft. My point is that the third pick
might even turn out to be the best of the three picks down the road. It could
happen. Boston should scout for that pick as diligently as if it were their
only pick in the draft.

---