BOSTON CELTICS NAME DICK HARTER ASSISTANT COACH

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BOSTON, MA - The Boston Celtics announced today the addition of Dick Harter
as Assistant Coach.

Harter has served as both a Head Coach and as an assistant for well over 30
seasons, and has earned his reputation as one of the premier defensive minds
in the game.

"We are very pleased that Dick is joining our staff," said Celtics Head Coach
Jim O'Brien.
"His experience in the league and knowledge of all phases of the game,
especially on the defensive end, will round out our staff."

"I am very excited to join Jim, whom I have known for a long time dating back
to my days in Philadelphia," said Harter. "But I am also excited to join the
Celtics. They obviously have a very special tradition dating as far back as I
can remember. I feel this squad has the talent to join the upper echelon of
teams in the league."

Much like O'Brien, Harter's intense interest and knowledge of the game stems
from his involvement in Philadelphia basketball. A graduate of the University
of Pennsylvania, Harter took his first coaching job at Rider College in New
Jersey in 1965. But after just a year, he returned to Philadelphia to serve
as the Head Coach at his alma mater, leading the Quakers to an 88-44 record
from 1966-71, including a 28-1 season in 1970-71. That year, Penn rose
as high as third in the national polls.

He later served as Head Coach at Penn State from 1978-83, compiling a 79-61
mark. Harter also served as the Head Coach at the University of Oregon from
1971-78. In all, Harter boasts having coached for 18 seasons in the college
game, amassing a 295-195 mark. Like O'Brien, Harter is a member of the Big
Five Hall of Fame. He is also a member of the University of Pennsylvania Hall
of Fame, as well as the University of Oregon Hall of Fame.
But Harter's resume is not short on NBA experience, having learned the
professional game from some of its greatest minds. He took his first NBA
position as an assistant under Chuck Daly at the Detroit Pistons from
1983-86, when the club recorded three consecutive winning seasons for the
first time in franchise history. He then left Detroit to serve as an
assistant under Hall of Fame coach Jack Ramsay at the Indiana Pacers from
1986-88. The Pacers won
41 games in 1986-87, then a franchise record for wins in a season.

Harter's ascension up the coaching ranks peaked in 1988 when he accepted his
first head coaching job in the NBA, taking over as the first-ever coach of
the expansion Charlotte Hornets, where he coached until 1990.

After serving as an assistant to Pat Riley at the New York Knicks from
1991-94 and at the Portland Trailblazers from 1994-97, he rejoined the Pacers
on Larry Bird's staff in 1997. Over the next three seasons, the Pacers
collected two Central Division titles and made one appearance in the NBA
Finals. Bird credited Harter's input as one of the reasons the team enjoyed
so much success in that stretch, as well as a major factor in him winning the
NBA's
Coach of the Year award in 1998.

Harter and his wife, Mari, reside on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and
spend the off-season in Lake Willoughby, Vermont.
-- 30 --
Tickets are available by logging on to Celtics.com, by calling 1-800-4NBA-TIX
or by visiting the FleetCenter Box Office.

For the most up-to-date Celtics information, visit the Boston Celtics
Official Website: http://www.celtics.com

To receive this email with colored text and active links, just go to
http://nba.mynbanews.com
/wwwroot/celtics/validate.cfm and enter your email
address.  Change your "Preferred Email Format" from TEXT to HTML!

To Modify Please Click On -
http://nba.mynbanews.com/wwwroot/celtics/modify.cfm?clientid=708&
userid=3597261

To Deactivate Please Click On -