Re: I've Found A Point Guard For The Celtics

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> - He's the John Stockton of France, and was the leading scorer
> for the foreign team during the 2000 Nike Hoop Summit.
>
> - He should be available at No. 22 or lower.....
>
> And is name is Jason Parker, and he's declared for this draft.

Actually I think "Way" is referring to Tony Parker, a 19-year-old French
point guard who played in the 2000 Hoop Summit. There is a Jason Parker
of the same age who starts for Kentucky, but he did not participate in
the Hoop Summit and his position is power forward.

Anyway, Tony Parker (6-2, 167 pounds) is actually a starter for my
hometown "A" League Paris Saint-Germain Racing Club, averaging 14.3 and
5.6 assists (6th in the league). He is third in team scoring behind the
American journeyman Frankie King and the former NBA 1st round draft pick
Mirsad Turkan. PSG is in 8th place in the league standings despite a
credible 16-12 record.

I haven't watched a single PSG game this year. There's actually a game
scheduled tomorrow night against Antibes. Maybe I'll take my son to his
first game. FWIW, what I see of French leagues play on TV is miles below
international team standards, or the level of Italian or Spanish first
division play. Salaries are significantly lower, for one thing, due to
heavier taxation. Same deal in soccer BTW.

"Way" must have one hell of a satellite dish, that's all I can say. ;-)
At least Tony Parker is allegedly four inches taller than the 5-10
Rashard Phillips. In that sense I suppose he could be an NBA prospect,
although I wasn't aware that he declared for the NBA draft already.
Hopefully he's picked up things from veteran journeyman Frankie King,
PSG's leading scorer. If I have a chance to go to a game, I'll let you
all know how he does.

p.s. How about an update from Phoenix, Mike King?

-------