Jim O'Brien Gushes About Potapenko

It's springtime and there's love in the air....

Potapenko makes himself at home
by Mark Cofman
Bosaton Herald - Tuesday, May 1, 2001

For somebody who journeyed from the other side of the world to pursue a
career in basketball, Vitaly Potapenko doesn't like to travel that much.
In fact, other than moving from Needham to a Back Bay residence later
this week, the Celtics center plans to stay put again this summer.

He can be found on most days at The Sports Authority Center in Waltham,
the Celtics' training facility and Potapenko's home away from home since
he joined the team two years ago. For the 6-foot-10, 285-pound
Potapenko, trips to the gym in recent years have taken precedence over
trips to his native Ukraine.

``This is the best way for me to work on my individual skills and
continue my regular routine (with weights),'' the five-year veteran said
yesterday. ``But I've been taking some time away from the gym lately
because of the move. After Friday, I hope to have everything in the new
place, and then things will be back to normal.''

Which for Potapenko means he'll be the Celtics' resident gym rat again
this summer. His work habits have never been an issue since the C's
acquired him from Cleveland for Andrew DeClercq and a first-round pick
in March 1999. What's been questioned, however, is Potapenko's
contributions when measured against his six-year, $31 million contract.
That the Celtics relinquished a valuable lottery pick (No. 8 overall in
1999) to acquire him hasn't helped Potapenko's cause with detractors.

``There's been a lot of criticism over the trades and signings we made
the past few years,'' said Celtics coach Jim O'Brien, referring to deals
orchestrated during the Rick Pitino regime, for which he was associate
head coach. ``But it seems to me that a lot of the players we acquired
in those deals played pretty well for us this season.''

O'Brien could point to scrap-heap pickups Mark Blount and Milt Palacio
as two examples. Another would be Bryant Stith, a major contributor in
2000-01 who was acquired by the Celtics from Denver last summer. But
when O'Brien defends the moves engineered during Pitino's 3 years in
Boston, you get the idea much of his focus is on Potapenko.

``Vitaly played extremely well for us this season,'' said O'Brien. ``He
accepted a role coming off the bench (to back up Blount after Tony
Battie was sidelined) and gave us consistent rebounding. And he shot the
ball well, too.

``I honestly can't remember a stretch where he played poorly. His
consistency in performing that role (as a reserve) was one of the
reasons we were able to get back into playoff contention.''

For the season, the 26-year-old Potapenko averaged 7.5 points and 6.0
rebounds in 23.2 minutes per game. Clearly he could improve on those
numbers with increased playing time, but Potapenko has never been one to
make waves or demands. He's aware his minutes aren't likely to increase
next season with Battie back at full strength and expected to return to
the starter's role.

``To me, the most important thing is to get the most out of your ability
while you're out there,'' said Potapenko. ``If I'm playing well, or
somebody's in foul trouble, then maybe I'll get to play a bit more. But
my goals don't change because of my playing time. My focus is always to
do the best job I can while I'm on the floor.''

Said O'Brien: ``You always know with Vitaly you're going to get a
maximum effort. . . . He never stops working at it, either, and I think
that's why he's been able to improve himself every year he's been in the
league.''