RE: Peter May Ranks The Draftable Players

I'm not sold at all on Battier. He plays power forward for Duke, and shoots
over or dribbles around bigger players. The system at Duke allows him to do
that. In the NBA he's a one-position guy--small forward. And I'm not
convinced he has the quickness to play that position. He relies on a lot of
flopping to draw charges, but those don't go over as well in the NBA. I
think he'll be a solid pro, but more of a "rich man's" Rick Fox. If you want
a guy to contribute right away, he's your guy. But if you want a guy with a
lot of upside, Battier isn't it. Personally, I think this team should
consider Battier only if he's still there with the Phoenix pick. Besides,
his hairline just frightens me. He comes from that Riddick Bowe-Brad
Daugherty family tree of athletes with no foreheads. They go straight from
eyebrow to hairline. Battier's decision earlier this season to completely
shave his head was one of the all-time no-brainers. But now he's letting it
grow back... why? Do you think Battier, Bowe and Daugherty started shaving
their foreheads when they were 9 years old? Would the same strategy work for
me, because my hairline is going the other way...

For what it's worth, Mike Dunleavy Jr. will be a better NBA player than
Battier. He's 6-9 and growing, with great ball skills, passing and shooting
ability. He's also the smartest and toughest of the Duke players and much
more athletic than Battier. When he adds a little bulk, he'll be very, very
good.

One guy who doesn't get mentioned much but should is Kentucky's Tayshaun
Prince. What a great player. He's 6-9, with the ball skills and shooting
ability of a point guard. He's rail thin, but I think he's actually skilled
enough to play 2-guard in the NBA. Kentucky's other star, Keith Bogans, has
an NBA 2-guard body and game. He'll also be good.

Did anyone get to see Western Kentucky's Chris Marcus against Florida? I
didn't, and I'm curious to hear the opinions of some listers on this
fast-rising center.

Other draft/college thoughts... North Carolina's Joseph Forte will be a
disaster pick if he's taken anywhere near the lottery. He's one of those
undersized 2-guards who has no chance of adapting to the point guard spot in
the NBA. Best case scenario is Jason Terry, but Terry is the exception. The
vast majority of these guys are eaten up by the NBA.

Missouri's Kareem Rush was spectacular against Duke Saturday. I think he's
an NBA player, but not sure if it's this year...

Not sold at all on Troy Murphy. A little too much Don Maclean in his game
for my liking...

May says Haywood won't be taken in the lottery... I can't believe that. The
guy will impress in workouts and shoot up the draft board. He's huge,
athletic, knows how to play and comes from a good program. Is the pilot
light always on? I don't know, but teams will take a chance on that talent.

Mark