RE: draft picks

I understand the thinking on the Denver pick Joe, but have to disagree. The
Nuggets are close to being a playoff team--if they could win at all away
from home they would be. They likely will have a new coach next season and
could really improve over the next couple of years with a few good decisions
(while teams like Seattle, Minnesota, Utah and Phoenix could go the other
way in the West). I don't see them really falling into high lottery land
anytime soon. I'd take the known commodity in a deep draft.

As for prepsters and underclassmen coming out early... you're right. Many of
them should have learned a lesson from the last draft. But sadly, most of
them probably think "but I'm better than those guys..." and will dive right
in. Selfishly speaking, with the Celts sitting in such good draft position,
I'm hoping they all declare. The more the merrier. I'd love to see Jason
Williams, Jamal Tinsley, Tito Maddox and Frank Williams on the draft board,
because the Celts would have a great chance to draft a quality young point
guard with size. I'd love to see Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Dasagna Diop,
Brendan Haywood, Yao Ming and Loren Woods in the mix at center. Or Kwame
Brown, Michael Bradley, Troy Murphy, Drew Gooden and Rodney White at power
forward. And if Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace go early, that just
pushes more big guys down for the Celts.

Look at those names. There's a real possibility that two or even three of
those guys could be in Boston next year. You never know how the draft will
shape up, but I don't remember a draft with so many potential impact
players. The choices will be so important, because if the Celts are
committed to keeping both Walker and Pierce and building around them, this
is the only way to do it. The rest of the roster has no trade value and the
team has no cap room. If you want to see this team build on what it has,
study the names above and hope the Celtics' braintrust (I know, I know...
oxymoron) is doing the same.

Mark