draft notes

Very happy with the results. Nobody slid. We missed Diop and Randolph by
one, so were spared that quandry (though I do think they would have taken
Diop).  I am a bit surprised they didn't take Radman, but not disappointed.

Best moment was Chris Wallace saying that Forte was Red Auerbach's
favorite, so he's probably lighting two victory cigars.

Craig Sager is an embarrassment.  Can't they get somebody like Kenny Smith
to interview the kids? He's just such a total dork, and doesn't speak
clearly. Gasol and Radman had no idea what he said to them, and just
replied with the eurohoopsboy version of the Miss Universe line, I am veddy
happy to be heeere in Palm Beach!   And what was up with him saying to
Eddie Griffen: congratulations on being selected. How do you feel about
your brother dying three months ago? Unbelievable.

Fave Barkely moment (I love Charles): Ernie told him that Kirk Haston has a
collection of Andy of Mayberry tapes.
Chas: "Another country bumpkin."
Ernie: "|And he has an autographed poster of Don Knotts.
Chas: You know, Ernie, when I met you I thought you were Barney Fife."
Fade to commercial with Chas' voice in the background, "Have you every seen
a black man in Mayberry?"

He also got a good dig or two in on Pitino.  One when Griffen was still on
the board at #6 and RP said that no less than three people had told him
that Griffen wouldn't last past #5. Barkely said something like when do NBA
executives ever tell the truth?

Mike Fratello in the Boston war room didn't tell us anything we didn't
already know. I want that job!

Obie was thrilled. He wanted people who could shoot the long ball and get
their shot off with the clock winding down.  And they expect Dick Harter to
pay huge dividends on the defensive end - he was Bird's top lieutenant in
Indiana.

On to the players.  They were comparing Joe Johnson to Paul
Pressey.  Versatile: can dribble, shoot outside, RB, pass, tough, and a
great kid.
Kedrick Brown - his Juco coach did most of the talking.  He has a slow,
southern drawl. The clips showed a human highlight film - this kid is
explosive! Or as they said "Off the charts as an athlete."
Forte: compared him to Ricky Pierce. He makes those inbetween shots that no
one does anymore, like the floater.   If Antoine plays some point, we can
have Forte on the floor at the 1.

I love all the added fire power we picked up. Doesn't address the center
position, but there was nobody to draft for that, really. Remains to be
seen if Wallace does some trading- we heard snippets of Battie and Vitaly
being shopped around.   I figure it's adios to Adrian, Stith, and Herren.

What a night!

  --Ellie