Globe Article

Johnson sounds like he wanted Boston all along, although he would have to
have some guts if he said otherwise.

I can't wait to see him next year.

Josh F

Quick picks thrill Celtics
Johnson, Brown look like winners
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 6/28/2001
WALTHAM - The Celtics' word of the night was ''ecstatic.'' After the team
made its two lottery selections in the 2001 NBA Draft, general manager Chris
Wallace and coach Jim O'Brien could not overstate their happiness. Boston
chose Arkansas swingman Joe Johnson at No. 10 and junior college product
Kedrick Brown at No. 11. Johnson slid ever so slightly to end up at the
Celtics' doorstep, while Brown represented a non-traditional choice as the
highest junior college selection in draft history.
Instead of the Celtics going with a point guard as some expected at No. 21,
North Carolina shooting guard Joseph Forte became the third and final
Celtics rookie selected last night. He was originally a player Boston looked
at as a possible lottery choice. So in the end, the Celtics got exactly what
they hoped for: three first-round picks, three athletic scorers.
''I'm ecstatic about the 10th and 11th pick, Joe Johnson and Kedrick,'' said
O'Brien. ''I wrote down my wish list from a talent standpoint. I wanted
3-point shooters that are athletic and can handle the basketball. I think
people like that are exactly what we needed.
''A couple weeks ago, we had Joe Johnson in and I had seen him twice out in
LA and watched volumes of tape. We came off the court and I said to Leo
[Papile] and Chris, ''It would be a dream come true if we could get Joe
Johnson.'' I think he has guard skills at 6-foot-63/4 inches, and we were
actually very surprised that he slipped to us. Kedrick is a phenomenal
athlete with the ability to shoot the long ball. He shot over 40 percent
from the 3-point line. When you see him on tape, it will be very clear to
you why we drafted him at 11.''
The top five players on the Celtics' wish list were Shane Battier, Jason
Richardson, Rodney White, Joe Johnson, and Kedrick Brown. They were hoping
one of the five would be available. They were delighted when two remained.
There was complete consensus with no reservations on all three picks. Each
time Boston took its turn at the podium in New York, the player at the top
of its draft board was available. From their perspective, the Celtics
couldn't have scripted the draft any better.
The 6-8, 225-pound Johnson finished his sophomore year as the Razorbacks'
leader in scoring (14.2 points per game), rebounding (6.4), and 3-point
field goal percentage (44.3). For good measure, he placed second in assists
(77) and third in steals (43), field goal percentage (46.8 percent), and
free-throw percentage (74.7 percent). He was lauded by the Celtics' brain
trust as an unselfish player with versatility, strong ball-handling skills,
and ability to shoot the ''deep ball'' and create off the dribble. Papile
went so far as to call Johnson the best big-man ball-handler on the team.
Following his selection, Johnson received a call from Antoine Walker and
Paul Pierce, who were both in the Celtics' war room. The trio talked for
awhile, saying how excited they were to get started. Johnson thought his
game fit well with the Celtics' needs and he could contribute immediately.
''[My family] all pictured it would happen like this,'' said Johnson. ''They
wanted me to come to Boston, and not only that, but I did, too, because I
know what you had and I know what you need and I'm willing to bring that. I
wasn't disappointed at all [to slide]. This is no lie. I wanted to play for
Boston. I'm glad it happened this way ... I'm a player who gets after it and
who's willing to step up to a challenge.''
Brown left Okaloosa-Walton (Niceville, Fla.) Community College as a
first-team junior college All-America selection, averaging 22.9 points, 8.8
rebounds, and 3.0 assists. The 6-foot-6-inch, 222-pound forward shot 40.4
percent from 3-point range. However, Wallace estimated only 10 to 12 NBA
teams saw Brown play, and he began his post-lottery selection press
conference by asking, ''So, how many of you have seen Kedrick Brown
before?'' Well, the Celtics had, and they walked away very impressed when
they saw Brown compete in Florida.
Over the weekend, Brown was the subject of trade rumors. It was thought the
Celtics would select Brown and trade him to Portland for the 19th pick and
cash. The Celtics vehemently denied there was any trade in the works or down
the road. When asked about the rumored deal that made the rounds, Wallace
said, ''No, I don't know where that rumor got started.''
Brown was more than ready to make Boston his home.
''I'm very excited,'' said Brown. ''I think I fit very well in this program.
I think I can help on the perimeter. I think they treat junior college
players like high school players. But I think I'm ready to make the
transition from junior college. I'm very surprised [where I was selected],
but I'm happy.''
The Celtics see great long-term advantages to the selection of Johnson and
Brown, and they also hope for short-term contributions.
''We don't really get hung up about what's going to happen this year,'' said
Wallace, who emphasized the rookies were not on any timetable. ''We'd love
to be right in November to begin the season like we were with Paul Pierce in
'98, but the most important thing is three years from now. We think these
type of players are definitely ones that will make us very right with this
decision in three years. Hopefully, they can deliver some stuff in the short
term.
''But again, we're just happy to bring out two scorers who are character
guys. I don't think there's any problems with these players. They love to
play. Two guys with this type of athletic ability on the team - we're very,
very happy. I can't stress how happy we are tonight to be able to get these
guys.''