From: j.hironaka [mailto:j.hironaka@unesco.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:15 AM
To: Celtics@igtc.com
Cc: Celtic_Pride@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Celtic_Pride] RE: Globe: Gasol may be out of reach,
possible Portland deal

At 10:34 26/06/01 -0400, OzerskyJA wrote:
>I liked the deal of Brown for Bonzi much better.  Now talk is of Brown for
>#19 and 3mil cash.  That deal is terrible.  What a waste of a pick.  That
>would be a sign of a true cheap owner if that went down.

It was reported somewhere that this trade would very likely be rejected by
the Comish, just as the McCarty deal was. Stern won't let teams buy up in
the draft by dangling cash. This is too blatent an example, and there is
enough precedent.

Even if these are probably just dead-end deals, it irks me to see Gaston
involved in the negotiations. The alternate #11 for Bonzi and cash would
probably make it through the commisioner's office, even though now it
involves a player coming off major knee surgery. Maybe that's Wallace's
definition of "not a cash deal". I don't know.

This is not a deal most fans would reject out-of-hand, at least prior to
Bonzi's knee injury.