6/20 Newsletter

bostonsportsguy.com - http://bostonsportsguy.com

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Hey everyone...

As Eddie Vedder once sang, "Ohh-ohhhhhh, oh, ohhhhhh, I'm still alive...
yeahhhhhhh... eye-eye... ohh, ohhhhhhh, I'm still alive...."

All right, that didn't work. Anyway, here's the first edition of the BSG
Newsletter. It looks like almost 8,000 people have signed up so far, which
is a little disappointing. I was hoping to break five digits. On the other
hand, I'm sure some people were scared off by 1) the thought of me knowing
that they signed up (hi Dale Arnold!), and 2) the old wives tale about "if
you sign up for a Listbot mailing list, they sell your email address to
porn sites." Still, 8,000 people isn't bad and could probably fill one
side of the Fleet Center. We could fill the other side with Jim Baker.

So what's going on with me? Not much. I should have an announcement about
my next venture next week, assuming Juggs Magazine finishes my contract
before Friday.

In the mean time...

* I wrote a column about Lenny Bias that was being posted on ESPN.com's
Page Two today: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/010620.html.

* I'm doing a "live chat" about the NBA Draft for the Boston Celtics on
Tuesday the 26th at 3:00pm. Check www.celtics.com for details. The funny
thing is that they're having a chat with Chris Wallace on Monday and Jim
O'Brien on Wednesday. Wallace, then me, then O'Brien. Three of the
greatest basketball minds in the business! This chat will probably suffice
in lieu of the pre-draft column I promised you... but much like Rick
Pitino, I reserve the right to change my mind.

* I'm writing my annual NBA Draft Day Diary for Page Two from my Dad's
house, which should be posted on Thursday the 28th. Get ready for ALL of
Those Jokes. The thought of Tyson Chandler in a three-piece silver suit
has me practically ready to pass out.

* I'm appearing on Mike Giardi's 11:00pm NECN show on July 2nd.

* I'm appearing at Giggles on the 5th and Dick Doherty's Comedy Hut on the
9th.

(Okay, I made that last part up.)

As for news and rumors, I haven't really heard anything good other than
that 1) the "Eddie Andelman to 1510" rumor is dead, 2) Mark Packer isn't
coming to Boston and 3) Team Skwar is battling with Mike Kellogg about the
amount of control the Globe will have over that 2-6 show. In other words,
all the 1510 jobs are wide open. But these are all rumors.

Hey, that reminds me... in case you missed it, the Herald's Jim Baker
finally took a shot at me in his TV column yesterday, writing that "Bill
Simmons, who was long on rumors and very short on facts for Digital
City.com, suddenly exited." Can you believe that? That's like OJ
criticizing someone else's marriage. Here's the link:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/sports_columnists/baker06192001.htm

I feel like I made the big-time... the Bakes took a shot at me! I knew
he'd been fuming ever since I wrote about how he almost got fired a few
months ago, but I always thought he'd have the balls to take a shot at me
BEFORE I left. Apparently not - he was probably concerned that I would go
into detail about his mysterious "sabbatical" from the Herald pages last
winter. You know what? I'm not even going there. After all, this isn't
like NASCAR, where somebody bumps you and you go out of your way to bump
them back. Let's just move on...

Final note of thanks to everyone who sent in e-mails over the past few
days - some of the nicest e-mails I've ever received in my life. I'm glad
the BSG site meant so much to so many people. Again, I'll probably have an
announcement about my future plans next week, so stay tuned for the press
conference and subsequent whirlwind publicity tour, followed by my
imminent Junior Downey-esque collapse and subsequent stint at the Betty
Ford Center.

Also, I'm closing down the historic sptguy33@aol.com address this week and
fading into anonymity, at least for the next few weeks. I'll probably have
a non-AOL address down the road.

Other than that, well... Mark Madsen is a dork... Joe Castiglione dresses
like Thurston B. Howell... Mr. Big has officially been emasculated... I
think the Celts are honing in on Joe Johnson and Troy Murphy... I'm not
enjoying the Lakers Dynasty... Brian Daubach's beard has been the best
comedy development of the season... no, I haven't bought the new Motley
Crue book yet... no, I haven't seen the Real World Reunion show yet... the
worst drinking night of all-time would be a night out on the town with
Hideo Nomo and his translator... and in the most exciting news of all,
Bish of "Viva Las Vegas" fame gets married this month. No truth to the
rumor that the Undertaker will be in attendance.

Until next time...

--The Artist Formerly Known as the BSG

PS: Stop checking the Digital City site. I'm not coming back.