Re: draft "defense-first" kind of player.

> From: kevin from singapore <bostonceltics17@yahoo.com>
>
> (The Celtic "Tird",  Celticus "tirdius") wrote:
>
>> Good call.    Players who could give the team defense and some scoring,
>> as well, would be better still.
>
> thanks for the "good call" remark. It sort of gave me a lift or
> "umpff." (like a Seles or Venus grunt when hitting a return)

Uh, no problem.  I call 'em like I sees 'em, and I think you're right
about getting players who can play D.  At least one caveat, though: in the
draft, I'd think you'd want to draft the BPA, almost always.  And it's not
about whether or not the player has played good defense in college (or
high school), but about whether or not he will do so in the NBA -- in
other words a crapshoot like nearly every draft because who really knows
if that's going to happen?

So, bottom line: Don't get the best defensive player at the spot in which
you pick, but do get the best player, which is hopefully some guy who can
help the team's lackluster defense (especially in the lane).  I freely
admit that I don't know who those guys are; but I do know that I'm not
going to base my opinion of their ability on their nationality.

(The Celtic "Tird",
  Celticus "tirdius")
mailto:celtictird@yahoo.com