scouting reports

I've cut-and-pasted Fox Sports scouting reports on DeSagna Diop, Shane
Battier, Pau Gasol and Joe Johnson below. I thought these were interesting.
A lot of comments from Wallace on Diop.

Mark

DeSagna Diop

SKINNY: The anchor for that superstar crowd at Oak Hill, Diop managed 11
points per game when not retrieving the ball (10 rebounds per) or knocking
it out of the sky (6 blocks per). He came to Oak Hill from Senegal and has
developed a reputation for being extremely coach-able and hard-working. A
stress fracture in his foot kept Diop out of the postseason all-star games;
he spent the down time lifting weights and growing to 320 pounds. According
to one NBA source, he since has dropped about 15 of those pounds without
sacrificing any of the strength that may allow him to stand next to
Shaquille O'Neal and not resemble a surfboard in a tsunami.

PROFESSIONAL OPINION: "He's like a lump of clay you can mold into your own
image," Boston Celtics GM Chris Wallace said. Unless Chris can guard Shaq,
let's mold him into someone a bit more intimidating. "I like the fact that
he's unspoiled," Wallace added. "He's not a fleet athlete, but he's a good
athlete. Diop's not a finished project, but he does have a nice shooting
touch. I haven't seen him play since early last season, but I like what I
saw." According to another NBA personnel executive, Diop "works extremely
hard and is a great, great kid. He really is a presence on defense." How
about that low-post offense? "Right now? Nothing. No real game down there.
But he has some nice skills; he can pass the ball and he has a nice release
at the free-throw line. He body is kind of puffy, but I think he'll be OK."

MAY REMIND YOU OF: Dikembe Mutombo after four years at offensive tackle
school. "He's much more fluid than Mutombo," our personnel man warned. OK,
but we're not going to mention Shaq.

Shane Battier

SKINNY: The stay-in-school poster boy walked away with the John Wooden Award
after teaming with Jason Williams to lead Duke's NCAA title run. He held
down the fort at power forward, but played enough on the perimeter to feel
cozy at the three spot. Averaged 20 points and 7.3 rebounds per game while
dropping 42 percent of his three-pointers. Battier could be selected with
any of the top 10 picks; he represents a potential for immediate
contribution, while a handful of younger players ride the wave of a scary
quality called "upside." Golden State coach Dave Cowens recently groused
about possible criticism for not drafting a player with more "upside" than
Battier. If Battier's still on the board when the Warriors pick at No. 5,
let's see how Cowens and the organization handle the predicament.

PROFESSIONAL OPINION: "One of the most solid kids you'll ever see," said an
NBA scout. "Not great at anything, but pretty good at just about everything.
He's got intangibles up to here." We presume the scout was lifting his hand
to his forehead. "This guy's an OK athlete who is an above-average spot-up
shooter. He's not much off the dribble, but he at least won't try doing
things he can't do. Very mature, great leadership potential, but I should
point out that most leaders on NBA teams are the big stars." Charles Oakley
must be an exception. "He doesn't seem to have enough to be a big star.
Solid role player? No doubt, but the big dilemma is taking a solid role
player high in the lottery with big and potentially outstanding young guys
right there, too. Other than that, the question on Battier is will he be
quick enough to guard some of the better small forwards? Even though it'll
be a challenge, he seems smart enough to survive."

MAY REMIND YOU OF: Laker Rick Fox. Well, not if you're a woman. But if you
close your eyes and think of Fox and Battier, you'll see good standstill
shooters with marginal athleticism and the potential to be a go-to interview
guys.

Pau Gasol

SKINNY: At least one personnel exec we've talked to thinks this dude's the
most talented player in the draft. Here's the rub: Like Jake Tsakalidis from
last year's selection pool, Gasol is under contract to a European team and
needs to reconcile that little matter before an NBA team risks nabbing him
with a high pick. His buyout tab is a cool $2.5 million. NBA franchises are
limited to pony-up assistance of $350,000. Some teams are attempting to see
if Gasol can be advanced enough from his future wages to pick up this fee.
If the league approves or some other compensation package is worked out,
Gasol could be a top-five choice. The 21-year-old three (at 7-1, let's call
him a "three-and-a-half") averages 19 points, five rebounds and just under
one assist per game for Barcelona. He scored 15 points last Saturday night
in a Euroleague playoff victory.

PROFESSIONAL OPINION: : One highly respected NBA personnel executive said "I
think he's the most talented player in the draft." Hey, we've heard about
this personnel guy. "He can do a lot of things out there. He can shoot it
deep, put in on the floor and hit the mid-range jumper or finish. He has
good vision as a passer in the open court and is a pretty decent athlete.
He's not an athlete like some of the young American kids coming out, but
he's not bad. Very good agility. On defense, aside from using his length to
block shots, he doesn't have a clue. Even though he's two or three years
older than the high school kids coming out, you'll probably have to wait
just as long for Gasol before he's ready to really help you. He's not
anywhere near mature physically."

YOU MAY BE REMINDED OF: If you hadn't figured this one out, where have you
been? Right, the answer - well, according to numerous reports from those
who've been able to visit Spain and see for themselves - is Toni Kukoc.
Right-handed edition.

Joe Johnson

SKINNY: Made that "40 Minutes of Hell" seem even longer for Razorback foes.
One of the most skilled players in the draft, Johnson poured in 16 points
per game as a freshman, inspiring prognosticators to crown him Southeastern
Conference Player of the Year Suspect No. 1 before last season. The kid did
have a strong sophomore turn, but his 14.2 scoring average and 6.4 rebounds
kept Johnson were only enough to secure a spot on the All-SEC second team.
The POY was Kentucky junior Tayshaun Prince, who entered the draft, but has
decided to hustle back to UK. Lottery-bait Johnson has received too many
verbal bouquets from NBA teams to consider a return to Fayetteville.

PROFESSIONAL OPINION: "I like him a lot," said one NBA personnel executive.
"He's one of those guys who plays a lot harder than it may appear. He has
very fluid movements, very quick, but very deceptive, too. And if he's not
6-8, he's pretty close to it. He has a very, very nice stroke (44 percent on
three-pointers last season). A very fluid jump shooter, who'll have to
adjust to the NBA line, but I think he will. He also looks like he might be
a really good defensive player someday. I think he's gotta be a three (small
forward), but he has the skills to probably play some two (shooting guard).
And don't forget this ... fluid. Very."

YOU MAY BE REMINDED OF: Charlotte Hornets forward Jamal Masbhurn. Johnson
may become Mash's equal as a shooter, but the kid is better at turning the
corner off the dribble and getting into the lane.