Sportstalk: Kwame dropping? & etc.

If we can trade down to 4 or 5, we might actually be able to get Kwame
there...
I doubt Diop will drop once he starts workouts.  The big Yugo is the wild
card
now from where I sit, much as Tsakalidis was last year.  I would surely like
sneak into an impact rookie, though...and Brown is definitely going to make
an
impact, whether he's in shape in June or not.

NBAtalk RUMORS: BROWN GOING DOWN?

By Chad Ford <mailto:chad@sportstalk.com>
sportsTALK.com
Updated June 11th, 2001 at 8:30 a.m. EDT

For the latest on the 2001 NBA Draft, check out our:
NBAtalk Insider Draft War Room <http://204.202.129.224/draft1.html>

Plus the most accurate listing of 2001 Free Agents
<http://204.202.129.224/nbafa.html>anywhere.
Chicago Pre-Draft Camp Wrap-Up
The camp ended on Saturday and here is where we stand after the smoke has
cleared . . . Here is our Chicago Pre-Draft Camp Wrap-Up
<http://204.202.129.224/chicagowrap.html>detailing who helped themselves,
who watched their stock drop, official measurements, second round locks, and
much, more. . . .
Where is Kwame Brown?
After one of the most meteoric rises in draft history, Georgia forward Kwame
Brown may be falling back to earth. sportsTALK has learned that Brown turned
down several workouts before the draft. In fact, he is the only top prospect
other than DeSagana Diop (see below) who has yet to work out with a team.
The official explanation has been Kwame has been focused on graduating from
high school.
His explanation has several teams raising their eyebrows. One Eastern
Conference GM went so far as to say that Brown's stock is falling. "First
the kids with no experience skip the camps. Then they start skipping the
workouts. Does Kwame have a confidence problem? Some people think so."

Brown most recently declined a workout with the Wizards in Chicago on
Thursday. Brown confirmed to sportsTALK that he skipped the Wizards workout.
"I just wasn't ready to workout yet," Brown told sportsTALK. "Right now, I'm
in OK shape. I want to get in great shape."
Brown said that high school and his late decision to enter the draft
contributed to unprepardness. Brown originally said that he felt he wasn't
mature enough to enter the NBA lifestyle and would honor his commitment to
the Florida Gators. "There's a lot more coming along with the NBA than just
money" Brown said a few months ago. "You're going to have to be able to cope
with that lifestyle. I'm not ready to cope with that lifestyle."

However, some last second whispers that Brown could go number one coupled
with a talk with Celtics legend Larry Bird convinced him to go pro. Brown
told sportsTALK that Bird told him that "I wasn't ready for the NBA, and I
had four years of college." Brown said he realized that no one was really
ready and he could take the opportunity to help his family.
Still one has to wonder if Brown really is ready. Brown admittedly got a
late start on basketball and never faced strong competition in high school.
"I was a two guard until eighth grade. I was 5 foot 11." By the start of the
ninth grade, Brown had grown to 6 foot 8. Brown said he was awkward but the
growing pains were what killed him. "My knees were so tender, I couldn't
even dunk." When Brown's game did grow into his body, he often didn't have
anyone to play. "We're I grew up, I'd be lucky to work up a sweat."
Now Brown has a chance to play against the world's best. Brown said he will
workout with Washington, the LA Clippers, Atlanta, Chicago, Golden State and
Vancouver before the draft. Most mock drafts have Brown in the top three,
but a poor workouts could sink Browns stock even further.
Diop Will Work Out
There has been rumblings that high school big man DeSagana Diop, on advice
from his agent, Leon Rose, will not workout for teams before the draft. Diop
injured his left foot toward the end of the season and hasn't played
basketball since. However, Diop told sportsTALK that his foot is "one
hundred percent" and that he would work out with team. However, Diop didn't
wasn't sure which teams he was scheduled to work out with. He thinks that he
has workouts in New Jersey, Atlanta and Vancouver.
Diop, like Brown, seemed a bit flabbergasted by all of the attention. In
Senegal, Diop's native country, basketball is a girl's game. Soccer is the
game for men. Diop said people used to tell him to quit playing with the
girls and go play soccer. Of course how many soccer players will get as much
as Diop will earn in his rookie contract.
"I don't think I"m good enough to play in the NBA," Diop told sportsTALK.
"But I will work hard and learn." When Diop was asked why he declared for
the draft if he wasn't ready, Diop replied, "it's a good opportunity to help
my family."
Diop is the biggest of the big men in the draft. He is a true seven footer
with shoes and weighs 305 pounds. He runs the floor well for a big man and
is an excellent rebounder and shot blocker. His offense still needs work,
but right now teams are most intrigued with his size.
In or Out of the NBA Draft?
Call it delusions of grandeur, but several early entry prospects who are
sitting on the fence have some big decisions to make this week. The NBA
deadline for pulling out of the draft is June 17th and for players who
haven't hired an agent, now is the time for them to decide whether they
should turn pro.
Several players have already made that decision, though they haven't
announced anything formally. Agent Arn Tellem told sportsTALK that Alabama's
Gerald Wallace is definitely in the draft, "Let's put it this way, when the
deadline comes, he's not pulling his name out."
Another player Tellem advises, Stanford center Jason Collins, still hasn't
made up his mind. "We'll see how the weekend goes," Tellem told sportsTALK
on Saturday. Collins was expected to go through rigorous testing of his knee
last weekend. If all the testing comes out rosy, expect Collins to stay in
the draft. He's projected as a top 15 pick by many scouts.
Kentucky guard Keith Bogans seemed intent on staying in the draft, despite a
poor performance in Chicago. His coach, Tubby Smith, was there trying to
bring Bogans back to reality, but it looks like Bogans has already made up
his mind. The same goes for Arizona point guard Jason Gardner who despite
very negative reviews still feels like he's the top point guard in the draft
<http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azcolleges/ua/0610gardner.html>.
Austin Peay sharp shooter Trenton Hassell seemed like he was more inclined
to return to school. Hassell told sportsTALK he'd mull things over this
weekend. He had a so-so showing in Chicago and looks like he's on the first
round bubble at the moment.
The most intrigue will probably surround USC forward Sam Clancy. Clancy
probably had the best camp of anyone in Chicago, but teams still worry about
his size. With the possible departure of Henry Bibby to the Wizards, Clancy
may decide to ride it out and hope he lands in the first round. Utah has
shown some interest in Clancy who has been described as a poor man's Karl
Malone.

Draft Workouts:
Celtics: The Celtics are planning to have 16-20 prospects in this week.
Players coming to Boston include Jamaal Tinsley of Iowa State, Michael
Bradley of Villanova, Gilbert Arenas of Arizona, Jeff Trepagnier of USC, Joe
Johnson of Arkansas, Richard Jefferson of Arizona, Tony Parker of France,
Vladimir Radmanovic of Yugoslavia, Brian Scalabrine of USC, Kenny
Satterfield of Cincinnati, and Earl Watson of UCLA
Bulls: The Bulls' next group of draft prospects include high schooler Kwame
Brown, Richard Jefferson of Arizona and Vladimir Radmanovic of Yugoslavia.
Top Prospects Workout Schedules:
Eddie Griffin: Griffin had a fantastic workout in Washington, and has also
worked out with Vancouver; the Los Angeles Clippers and Chicago. He is
scheduled to work out for Atlanta and Golden State this week.
Eddy Curry: Curry has already worked out with Michael Jordan and the
Wizards. He will workout with Chicago, the LA Clippers and Atlanta this
week.

Kwame Brown: Brown has not worked out with any teams. He is scheduled to
work out in Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, Golden State, the LA Clippers and
Vancouver the next two weeks.
DeSagana Diop: Diop has not worked out anywhere, but said he plans to start
workouts this week. Diop said he'd be working out with New Jersey, Atlanta
and Vancouver.
Jason Richardson: Richardson has already worked out for Atlanta. Next he
heads off to the Chicago Bulls then off to New Jersey, Vancouver, Cleveland,
Golden State and Detroit
Michael Bradley: Bradley has already worked out for Houston, Orlando, Golden
State, Vancouver and Seattle. He has workouts scheduled for Boston, New
Jersey, Atlanta, Detroit, Washington and Cleveland.
Brendan Haywood: Haywood has worked out for Houston, Boston, Detroit, and
Orlando.
Loren Woods: Woods held a private workout on Friday for Detroit, Golden
State and Charlotte on Friday. Woods shot the ball well and was generally
impressive. "He's still to thin," one scout said. "But he may make it as
four in the league. Anytime you find an athletic seven footer who can shoot,
you give him a second look."
Miami Ready to Slash and Burn
Daddy has just cut up the credit card. Coming off an season where Heat owner
Mickey Arison opened up his wallet allowing Pat Riley to sign both Eddie
Jones and Brian Grant to max deals only to see the Heat lose again in the
first round, Arison is now closing his wallet. According to the Miami
Herald, Arison, who is afraid of owing the league luxury tax for being to
far over the salary cap, has told Riley he isn't paying big money for anyone
this summer
<http://www.miami.com/herald/content/sports/basketball/nba/digdocs/062502.ht
m>.
That could likely mean that Heat free-agents Anthony Mason, Tim Hardaway,
Dan Majerle Duane Causwell, Cedric Ceballos, Todd Fuller and A.C. Green all
might not return. Mason, in particular is looking for a huge raise from the
$5.5 million he was paid last year.

Hardaway also wants to return to Heat, but Riley has publicly questioned
with Hardaway can handle the rigors of a full NBA season. Hardaway's agent,
Henry Thomas, told sportsTALK that if Riley were to reduce Hardaway's
minutes, he would likely be able to handle a full season. Thomas also
refuted reports that Hardaway would bolt the Heat if Riley signed another
prominent point guard. Thomas said Hardaway would take on a back-up role if
that's what would turn the Heat into contenders. Still Hardaway's contract
demands surely will make Arison think twice before bringing him on board.

Only two free-agents appear to be safe, for now, on the Heat's roster. Riley
would like to re-sign Bruce Bowen and point guard Anthony Carter. Both are
thought to be seeking salaries in the $4 million to $5 million range. That
might be too much for Arison's blood, but the Heat should be able to offer
them reasonable salaries in the $3 million range.
Jordan After Oakley?
With Michael Jordan continuing to play "Let's Make a Deal" for the Wizards'
number one pick in the draft, whispers are coming from all corners of the
league as to what he's after. According to a report in the Toronto Star
today, Jordan has talked to the Toronto Raptors that would send Charles
Oakley to the Wizards for center Jahidi White and others
<http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=waymoresp
orts/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=992210666197&>.
The move however, doesn't work under the cap and it would be an interesting
move for Jordan who is supposedly is thinking of adding Charles Barkley to
the Wizards if he can get into shape this summer. Maybe Oakley can help
Jordan collect gambling debts back from all of the people betting against
his comeback this fall.
Cavs Making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill?
The time may nearing for the Cavs to hire former San Antonio Spurs coach Bob
Hill. But as the Akron Beacon Journal points out, while players all seem to
love him, executives around the league have been giving Hill the cold
shoulder for the last five years
<http://ohio.com/sports/cavs/docs/006911.htm>. Hill sounded impatient about
the whole thing, telling the New York Daily News, "It's getting to the point
where Cleveland needs to make a decision
<http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-06-10/Metro_Sports/College/a-114350.asp?las
t6days=1>," Hill said. "I have a lot of people waiting at Fordham to see
what's going to happen."
NBAtalk Archives:
June 8th, 2001  <http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-8.html>
June 7th, 2001  <http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-7.html>
June 6th, 2001  <http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-6.html>

June 5th, 2001June 4th, 2001 June 1st, 2001 May 31st, 2001
<http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-5.html>
May 30th, 2001  <http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-5.html>

May 29th, 2001 May 25th, 2001
<http://204.202.129.224/nba/nbarumors6-5.html>