Re: more great news from moody...

At 09:23 08/06/01 -0400, OzerskyJA wrote:
>NBATalk says that there's ANOTHER "next Nowitski," a big russian whom his
>coach
>(who also coached Gasol and Dirk) says is even more ready -- AND he
>doesn't have a
>big buyout problem.  This guy could well jump into the top ten if what
>they say is true;
>which is good news for us anyway you cut it.

This is exactly the news we needed (he's a Yugo, not Russian BTW). I've
been mildly worried about the seemingly 9-deep draft for awhile, and
daydreaming about how dramatically different our entire outlook would be if
just one player among Chris Marcus, Yao Ming, Jason Williams, DeJuan
Wagner, Casey Jacobson etc. had also declared for the draft.

Right now a lot of us talk hopefully about landing one of the top prospects
like Joe Johnson, or Tyson Chicken, or Diop, or Gasol, or Rodney White at
#10. But simple math shows all of those guys are set to go in the top-nine
picks unless something quite unexpected happens (like Loren Woods or Zach
Randolph move up ahead of Boston's 10th pick). If that happens, great. But
I wouldn't bet on it.

Basically, Zach is a fairly sure bet to be there at ten, but there is no
guarantee Boston will decide they want him. Loren Woods also will be there,
along with Troy Murphy, Michael Bradley, Richard Jefferson, and Tinsley.
That could be what we are choosing from among, although a lot could happen
between now and the draft.

The strange part of it all is that it might not prove to be the end of the
world if we end up miserably stuck with Murphy/Bradley. Or Bradley/Tinsley.
Or Zach/Jefferson. Yes, it would seem like we got shafted out of the upper
tier of younger super prospects, but then again even the "worst athlete
available" scenario (Troy Murphy and Michael Bradley) would yield two
mature super scorers with outstanding shot selection and intelligence
compared to most of the guys on our roster. They would have to simply be
atrocious defenders in order to not get meaningful playing time right away.
Maybe in the long run they will prove just as good as all the
weak-defending, Euro imports.

I keep leaving out the name of Brendan Haywood, ever since Leo Papile
reportedly told WEEI that the guy was "too slow". But this could be a
smokescrean, you never know. As 7-0 centers with massive bodies go, I don't
think Haywood is slow at all. And he's coordinated in every aspect of the
game. He's certainly no Greg Kite.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Vlad Radmanovic is deepening the draft with
his great workouts. Sportsline only lists the kid at 6-9 210 pounds. I'd
like to learn more about him. I'd also like to hear some word on whether
"Julius" Sesar is ready to cross the pond.

****