Re: Leo Papile Speaks Out On The Celtics Draft

Interesting stuff if true, Ray. Of course, we have to keep in mind that
Papile is a scout, not the GM, so I doubt he'd have much to say about any
trades-other than adding his opinion on players. The call is Chris
Wallace's.

Having said that, there were a few things that stick out in those comments.
First, the idea that the league is ruled by Kobe Bryant-types... OK, so
where exactly are those "types?" There's Kobe, McGrady, maybe Vince Carter,
and...? These guys don't grow on trees, so saying "I want to pick an
athletic wing player at 10 or 11" and expecting that guy to be a "Kobe
Bryant-type" is a little unrealistic. I'd say we have our Kobe Bryant-type
in Paul Pierce. Granted, the team could use more athletes, but the last
thing we need is another swingman (unless they're committed to Antoine at PF
or PG... ugh). Anyway, as always, take the best player.

I thought the comment about Chandler was interesting, since it's sounding
more and more like he might be there at 10. Guys who won't be: Curry, Brown,
Griffin, Battier, Gasol, White, Richardson. The question marks are Diop and
Chandler, but if they don't go in the top nine, who does? Probably Joe
Johnson. Who else? Haywood? Richard Jefferson (there's your athletic
swingman)? Someone has to fill that spot.

That brings me to the comments about Joe Johnson. First, let me say that
I've only seen Joe Johnson play once, and that was just a few minutes. But
he scares the hell out of me. He's 6-8 with good ball skills, but by all
accounts is very passive. He sounds like Terrance Morris as a sophomore, and
we all know what happened to him. He's not especially athletic, and he just
seems like a duplication with Pierce and Toine... guys in that 6-7 to 6-9
range who are versatile, but not exceptionally athletic. I don't know enough
about him to have a strong feeling, other than just being very iffy on the
guy.

Finally, on Chandler... It's nice to hear someone say something nice about
the kid. It seems he's the guy who is getting blasted the most by the
"anonymous scouts and GMs" but for five years we've been hearing nothing but
raves about the kid. Now, in just a few weeks, we're ready to throw him on
the trash heap? Papile isn't the first guy I've heard compare Chandler to
Alcindor. Of course, Alcindor was a great high school player who had the
benefit of four years under John Wooden and last time I checked, he wasn't
on our staff. Anyway, every day seems to bring more intrigue. Who knows
what's going to happen?

Mark