Re: Another dumb one from bskball.com

I was wondering how people would view the drafting of Jefferson from
Arizona with the second pick?  Most mock drafts that I have read seem to
have him dropping into the teens, but I am not too sure that he will slip
by the Celtics, for three reasons....

1)  He is one of the surer bets in this draft.  He comes from one of the
best programs in the country.  He showed an un-canny dedication to defense
and hustle during the NCAA regular season AND tourney play. Being a
junior he has been under the micro-scope of many NBA teams for quite some
time now. Granted he is not a finished project, but he has less "bust
potential" then other players this year (like all of the 7 foot High
School kids this year)  The Celtics could use a player that can step in
right away.

2)  This leads into my second point.  Even though he seems like he can
step right into an NBA game with his defense, he also has a large degree
of potential for improvement.  His shot, though not the best, has shown
constant improvement.  He is also extremely athletic and quick.  On
defense and offense he seems to show the inate instincts of where to be on
the court, but he has yet to really put it together into dominating
performance, though his work ethic is unquestioned.

3) He is tall (6'7) and he has the potential to be a 2 or maybe a
3.  Combined with his athletic ability he seems a perfect fit for the C's
to platoon with Walker and Pierce.  In fact he seems to complement Pierce
very well.  His game is more of a slashing driving to the hoop style that
will allow Pierce to fine tune his already deadly jump shot.  His slashing
style may even rub off on Walker and force our captain to return to the
strength of his game, inside quick penetration.  Unfortunately I don't see
O'Brien curbing Walker's annoying outside shot selection, but we can hope.
Having Jefferson and Pierce on the court at the same time will give us a
height advantage at the 2 and 3 that can hopefully be exploited in the
pass happy zone defenses of next year.

 Jason David Jones