Re: Mark Berry's fears (and other notes... Khalid!)

--- You wrote:
I hope you're right, Josh, and you certainly could be. I'm just taking a
more conservative approach to expectations of our rookies. I'm trying to
imagine how Bryant Stith would look in the same summer league
situation-probably pretty similar to Joe Johnson.
--- end of quote ---

Stith is a solid player who can shoot a little when his hands are not mangled,
score some points, play good D, provide leadership etc. etc. However, he's not
in the same league as JJ skills-wise when it comes dribbling, passing,
rebounding - whatever the level of competition. He's not in the same *universe*
with KB athletically. Yeah, the rookies will need some seasoning, but I say
their talent will enable them to contribute more than Stith *this season*.
Apparently, Wallace & Co. agree, or they wouldn't be dragging their feet on
Stith, and 'insulting' him with a one-year lowball offer.

--- You wrote:
And remember, these guys
are the focal point in the summer league. When the real games start, Antoine
and Pierce are going to dominate the ball and the shots. Johnson and Kedrick
Brown are going to be playing off of those guys, just like Stith did last
year.
--- end of quote ---

...which will make their jobs easier, not harder.

--- You wrote:
Rookies are putting up huge numbers in these summer leagues, so you
have to take it with a grain of salt. Look at last night: Zach Randolph had
38 points and 16 boards for Portland.
--- end of quote ---

First of all, I think the competition is considered to be more serious (at
least by the NBA and ESPN) in the Shaw's and Rocky Mountain Revue leagues than
in SCSPL.
Second, it would be interesting to compare last year's rookies' performance in
the Shaw's and RMR leagues with their actual performances during the season,
and see if the summer performances are indicative of their performance during
the regular season. I remember being impressed by Moiso's talent last year, but
I don't think he actually accomplished that much at Shaw's in terms of impact.
This year he can't even stand out at Shaw's. Blount, on the other hand, did
more both at Shaw's and during the regular season, and is doing this year
again.

Which leads me to El-Amin. I find it interesting that, at least partly based on
his standout performance at Shaw's, you "have no doubt that, if signed, El-Amin
will be a factor". Yet you say JJ and KB won't significantly contribute this
year and their performances in the same league should be discounted because,
you know, it's just a summer league.
Kestas