Re: RealGM compares the C's drafting Kedrick Brown to Joe Smith fiasco

At 01:57 PM 7/18/01, CeltsSteve@AOL.com wrote:
>Pump Fakes: Juking Defenders Out of Their Shorts
>
>       Author: Jon Hamm
<cut>
>Just like the Timberwolves deprived the other 28 teams a chance to sign
>Smith, the Celtics did the same deed with Brown by promising to select him
>with the 11th overall pick. Just as Minnesota promised Smith a specific
>set of contracts that would be signed in the future, Boston promised Brown
>a specific contract that would be signed in the future. Perhaps there
>isn't enough evidence to warrant a sniff from the NBA's lawyers, but I
>find it strange that not a single word has been spoken of the backdoor
>maneuver the Celtics successfully pulled off.

This guy doesn't have a clue. The Timberwolves cheated by violating the
salary cap rules. We maneuevered to increase the chance that we'd get a
player we liked, which is completely different. Any of the teams above us
could still have drafted him.

Alex