Re: News: Chris Herren says "arrivaderci"

--- You wrote:
At times like this I really wish the NBA finally had a farm system. For
instance, I bet if the Celtics built an affiliate minor league team (say in
Hartford, CN), that club could draw enough fans to support an NBA minimum
salary roster. If you had 8-dollar courtside tickets, I'm there every night.
--- end of quote ---

You'd fly in from Paris, Joe?!  Now that's a real fan... :) More seriously,
isn't that what the NBA is trying to do with the NBDL?

--- You wrote:
Maybe you'd discover that guys like Klack, Sesar, Pepper, Herren, Monty
Mack wouldn't mind playing within the Celtics system for a little less
money, in hope of getting a call-up to the pros if the occasion arises.
--- end of quote ---

That sounds nice in theory, but like you yourself say below, there are usually
better options available for these "bubble" players.
Especially if you're a Euro, why would you trade all the luxuries of being "the
man" in Europe for bus rides to Yakima and Sioux City? (Granted, they don't
pelt you with coins and batteries in the minor leagues here - the passion and
the fans just aren't there.) This isn't baseball where the only other option
for such players might be Japan. It's not like you're gonna go play baseball in
Cuba or the Dominican Republic if you don't like the minor leagues.

--- You wrote:
p.s. Thinking back on when Brian Shaw left the rebuilding Celtics to play
in Italy, I remember thinking I'd be all over moving to Italy or Spain if I
were a bubble NBA player.
--- end of quote ---

I've hated Shaw ever since that acrimonious divorce he had with the Celtics.
And now that he's hitting crucial three-pointers for the Lakers (he never
seemed to be able to do that for us!), I hate him even more.
Kestas