Re: ESPN Insider Power Rankings

--- You wrote:
I don't know if this will format correctly. If not, I'll summarize. They
have the Lakers No. 1 and the Celtics No. 23. Indiana is 22, Jersey and
Cleveland are 24-25. Washington is 27. I think this is a good reality check.
--- end of quote ---

It's not a reality check, it's someone's opinion. It they indeed finished 23rd
or worse this season under normal circumstances (barring injuries to key
players, team disintegration etc.), that would be a reality check. The Celtics
were 20th in the league last season, and there's no reason to believe that
they'll do worse this season.

--- You wrote:
They may be right or wrong, but I think their rankings are pretty indicative
of the expectations those non-Celtic fans have for the team. They've added a
lot of talent, but they haven't really improved the team for next year. A
couple of Eastern Conference teams that finished behind Boston last year,
have passed the Celts in these rankings-Atlanta and Detroit. The Celtics, on
the other hand, haven't passed anyone.
--- end of quote ---

They haven't passed anyone *in this ranking*. There's a difference. Most of
these 'writers' are regular people who don't know any more than you or I do (if
they did, they'd be NBA GMs or at least scouts). Some, at least judging from
their comments, are casual NBA fans who are impressed by 'names' (i.e., players
that they've heard of) and base their judgments of teams on how many 'name'
players the team has. The problem with evaluating teams 'on paper' should
obvious (see Orland Magic '99-'00, or Houston Rockets with Olajuwon, Pippen,
and Barkley). it remains to be seen whether Atlanta or Detroit will leapfrog
the Celtics.

You claim that those writers' not being fans of the Celtics gives them a better
perspective; I say they're simply less informed about our team, and possibly
biased against it. Read the comment about the Celtics again:

"23. Boston Celtics
Comment: Remember when Red used to light up after the Celtics won another
Championship. Now he does it after they select an undersized guard with the
21st pick."

Is it me, or is there a nasty edge to it? Is it that the most informative (or
even accurate) thing one can say about the Celtics' draft? Most other teams get
similar remarks. Perhaps the writer is just trying cover up his lack of insight
with poor attempts at humor. Whatever it is, I find it hard to take 'analysis'
like that seriously.
Kestas