PF/center upgrades

Now that we're on the subject, let's look at the trades that have gotten
quality inside players recently. We saw Oakley traded for Camby, who was a
#2 pick and a league leader in shotblocking before the trade; now he's a
budding star. We saw Antonio Davis traded for a #5 lottery pick. Ratliff
was traded for Stackhouse, who has since gone to the All-Star game multiple
times. PJ Brown came in a package with Mashburn for Eddie Jones, a multiple
All-Star. Miami got Brian Grant relatively cheaply in terms of talent but
was taking advantage of Cleveland's luxury tax desperation and Grant's own
desire to play there; beyond that they had to give him a max contract also.

Two points: First, none of these guys were acquired by giving up midlevel
talent like our current centers, except Grant because of those special
circumstances. In every other case, they're giving up high picks or
extremely promising young players who have actually done something in the
league. None of these teams improved by drafting centers late and all of
these guys were costly salary-wise -- not exception players.

Second, it's possible to get a starting center/PF by trading a very good
swingman. I think there's hope for us to really upgrade that position if
these draft picks come through. But it's not going to happen until they
prove themselves on the court.

Alex