Slow news day

Below is an older Mike Fine article on the reaction of the Celts captains
to the three rookies.

Also here's a link to a (serious) article in Slate.com on how to use the
word "retard".
http://slate.msn.com/GoodWord/01-07-05/GoodWord.asp

-------

June 28, 2001
CELTICS NOTEBOOK: Celtic players charged up; Pierce: Draft puts team in
playoffs
By MIKE FINE
The Patriot Ledger
http://ledger.southofboston.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2001/June/28-1293-sports07.txt

WALTHAM - Paul Pierce doesn't just think last night's NBA draft was big for
his Boston Celtics.
"It's huge," said the co-captain, who along with Antoine Walker last season
had the weight of the world on his offensive shoulders. "We need someone
who can come in and contribute right away," Pierce said. "I definitely see
us in the playoffs next year. Not only making the playoffs, but doing
something in the playoffs."

Pierce is no draft expert, but he certainly knows of North Carolina's
Joseph Forte and Arkansas' Joe Johnson, and if his Celtics bosses say that
junior college standout Kedrick Brown can help, well, that's good enough
for him. If they take away some of his shots, given that they're all good
shooters, that's OK, too.

"If it's going to make us a better team, definitely, but they're rookies,
so they take a back seat, anyway."

"We feel like our future is on the line," co-captain Antoine Walker said.
"We want to be a playoff-caliber team, and we want good help around us."

"We need someone to come in and contribute right away," Pierce said.

"We need a guy who can come in and give us 12 or 13 points a night," Walker
said. "We've got other ingredients to the puzzle. Now we're trying to add
other pieces."

Both Walker and Pierce spoke to Johnson briefly after he was taken with the
No. 10 pick.

"I'm excited about coming up and getting things started," said Johnson, who
added he has no doubt he can assume the role as the team's third scorer.
"We (his family) all pictured it would happen like this. They wanted me to
come to Boston, and not only that, but I did, too, because I know what you
(Boston) had, and I know what you needed, and I'm willing to bring that."