RE: another indictment

--- You wrote:
Josh, you're right that since Pitino left they are playing hard and better.
No question. I just don't think it's because of any great coaching genius
from Jim O'Brien. Like I said, he was smart to shorten the rotation, but
other than that, I think the only reason for the improvement is the players'
willingness to do it. The way they quit on Pitino and ran him out of town
disgusts me, and I'm not going to forgive and forget just because they've
decided to play hard now. What happens when they decide they don't like Jim
O'Brien? Or will O'Brien just be the next scapegoat when things don't go
well?
--- end of quote ---

Obie's "genius" lies in not being blind to the simple fact that this is a players' league and in pushing the right buttons to stroke his stars' egos. And let's face it -getting the players to play their best FOR you is a far more important coaching skill in the NBA than all that basketball knowledge that Pitino allegedly had. And if a time comes when they don't want to play for Obie anymore, it'll be time for him to go too. Coaches are easily replaceable in the NBA; Walker- and Pierce-caliber players are not.

--- You wrote:
As I said, I think these players, especially the two "team leaders," exposed
their true character earlier this season. I don't think you can change that.
They worry about "touches" and quit on their coach. That's the bottom line.
--- end of quote ---

Heck, if I played for a coach whose system was clearly not working, and who constantly screamed from the sideline micromanaging every play and publicly deriding me for every mistake I made, I'd quit on him too. And I'm not a millionaire NBA star. But I'm sure you, Mark, would just carry on to the end like a kamikaze. Too bad you couldn't play for the Celtics, or they could've dumped Walker and Pierce, and had you carry the team under the guidance of the Great Father and Teacher.

Kestas