Shammond Williams

Josh wrote:

> At first I was horrified by this trade, as many of you were.  A solid
> performer like Adrian Griffin, one of our few fundamentals guys, for
> Williams, even with his outside shot and afro, seemed equal enough.
> Throwing in a first round pick, the lifeblood of any rebuiding organization
> (especially a capped-out one like us) seems intolerable.  But the more I
> learn about this guy, the more I see why we should pull the trigger -- IF
> the pick is lottery protected.  (You would think that with Vitaly Potapenko
> sitting on the bench instead of Shawn Marion, this would obvious to the
> Celtic brain trust.)  From what I'm hearing, Williams is one of those
> Jermaine O'Neal type talents who destroys everybody in his path in practice,
> but can't get into games because he plays behind Gary Payton, etc.  He was
> far and away the most dominant guard in the Shaw league and routinely puts
> up fifteen points in 18-20 minute stretches in Seattle.  He's apparently got
> a LOT of Upside, and would make a great third guard for us -- maybe even an
> eventual replacement for Kenny, if we can move him at Lottery Time.

I agree.  I'd like to see the Celtics pick up Shammond Williams.  I'd be
inclined to offer out Utah first round pick along with another player.  (I
could see offering a better pick ONLY if we are able to expand the deal
and get rid of some cap baggage).

I am almost always in favor of picking up players who played their college
ball at UNC under Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge.  For the most part,
players who come from UNC have solid fundamentals, and are better able to
adapt to the pro game than players from other schools.  I think Shammond
could fit right in as a good third guard type, and be happy in that role.

On another, what is the deal with Adrian Griffin?  The guy was fanstatic
up intil his injury a year ago, but he has done nothing since then.  I'd
hate to give him up if he could regain his form from the first half of
last season.

Michael