RE: Bulpett on Walker and Pitino

>From: OzerskyJA <OzerskyJA@cmog.org>
>
>And in
>fact, every coach from John Wooden on down has had losing
>situations like this.  Is it inexplicable?  I've been closely analyzing
>it every day for the past ten years, and reading all the analysis by
>all of you, and none of us is any closer to knowing the truth.  SETI
>will detect alien life before we get it.  God knows the players don't.
>Pitino doesn't understand it.  Maybe it's not arrogance but the Unknowable
>Mystery of Celtic Badness.

This may be the single most startingly intelligent thing said on the
Celtic list in recent memory.  The problem is, Josh, that most of us
are so convinced that we _do_ get it.  There _are_ reasons, but to
think that you, or I, or Tom Murphy, or Mark Berry, or Jim Mennino or
Joe Hironaka (not to single people out for criticism but merely to
offer a representative sample of the population of the List), sitting
at our little computers, typing about the team, know a damn thing
about this is quite arrogant.  Not that we shouldn't discuss it, far
from it, but a healthy dose of humility and awareness of this fact
would most of us a good turn.  And not that any one of those people
mentioned, (or anyone else) can't offer incisive or useful opinions,
either.  Maybe I'm not making this subtle point very well, but I
still think the distinction exists.

And let's not forget the many columnists, beat writers and hacks who
pass for journalists now.  Though they may know things we do not, and
though they may be "closer" to the team, in the end, they really
don't know anything about why, either.

Regards,

Bill, Celtics "Tird"