Re: astute analysis by BSG, addressing Mark's point

BSG is fawning? Let's be fair Mark. Antoine has been carryng this team for
the last 20 games.

I'm not arguing how well Toine has been playing. I'm just not ready to lump
him with Duncan, Garnett and the rest of the elite power forwards in the
NBA. You can't ignore a .417 shooting percentage. Maybe it's different if
he's at small forward, where I really feel he should be (if we had a legit
option at PF), but your big guys (PF and C) just have to get you some
high-percentage baskets. It's a given that most guards are going to shoot a
lower percentage because they take so many perimeter shots. If your power
forward's shot selection is similar to your shooting guard's, there's a
problem. When you then factor in the missed rebounding opportunities when
Toine is hoisting 12 treys, I think it's obvious there's a problem.

I'm not against him using the three-pointer. I just want him using it more
selectively. Do you realize Toine isn't in the top 30 in the league in
3-point percentage, but he has attempted almost 60 more threes than anyone
on that top-30 list (346 attempts--6.5 per game and climbing)? That includes
much better shooters (and gunners) like Ray Allen, Allan Houston and Glen
Rice. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that alarming. It's all
forgotten when he makes them (in Portland), but it absolutely kills you when
he doesn't (in Houston).

O'Brien has unleashed Toine and given him free reign to shoot whenever and
wherever he wants. It seems to have brought out a lot of good qualities in
Toine (he's passing more and defending a little better), but it also has
turned him into more of a finesse offensive player who settles for the first
long jumper he sees. Again, it's probably a trade-off and something everyone
must decide on their own if they can tolerate.

Finally, I'll say again that I'm not attacking Toine. Overall, he's playing
some of his best basketball lately. But I see some real warning signs about
his offensive tendencies that have been masked by the team's improved play.

Mark