The Win

What a great game for the Celtics to win.  After losing to Vancouver, they had to win a game that they weren't supposed to, but who'd have thought it would be Portland.  Must be because there are so many from this list there to cheer them on!  This trip is now officially not a disaster.  If they win one more, it will be a success.  More than that and people are really going to start taking notice of them.

A couple of my observations about this game...

Antoine showed why his versatility is so important.  They had him absolutely shut down inside.  Wallace was dominating him.  So, what does he do?  He scores his 28 by shooting 7-12 on three's.  It's nice to have options!

And they needed all of those three's because Paul Pierce just wasn't having a good night.  It's not that any of the Blazers could guard him.  He was blowing by them and picking up non-shooting fouls all night long.  Actually, Portland's defensive strategy on those two worked perfectly, except for 'Toine's three's, fouling Pierce early to take the ball out of his hands, and double teaming 'Toine down low.

Not that it seemed like Rasheed Wallace needed any help with 'Toine down there.  And on offense, Wallace was having his way with anyone who guarded him.  Portland should have used him much, much more.  He could have scored fifty.

Does anyone know who Antoine was talking to after the game?  The camera was lurking behind him as he was holding a set of headphones.  I thought we were going to get an interview, but Tommy and Mike kept talking.  You could hear Antoine talking trash with someone, presumably in the media, saying "I tell you guys every time, I'm the real deal, I'm the real deal".  OK, so he's got a few rough edges!

In all, it's great to win a road game against a very tough team when you don't play all that well.  This one was definitely worth staying up late for!

Jim